Archery Talk Forum banner

Bow hunting : speed or strenght ?

830 Views 10 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  JD BC
Hello,

I have a question regarding compound bow hunting . Is there table, a chart witch explains to you what kind of bow you have to use depending on the game you want to hunt ? And what does count more for a bow ? Strenght or speed?
For example : for turkey you need a bow with xxx fps and draw weight of xxx lbs.... Or for deer you need....
And say I have a 60# compound bow with 320 fps . I found a char on hunters friend and they say that for big game you need 70# compound bows and more. But if my bow is as fast as an 70# compound bow, can I use it for big game ?
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Bent Not Broken
3,451 Posts
Most of the tables I have seen list it by KE. There are too many variables to say just one decides it.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

· Registered
775 Posts
by some state laws you can legally hunt deer with 30 lbs draw weight.
I'd say its more about KE than anything else, though having a arrow that gets there fast & still have that KE is always a big plus.

· Registered
7,049 Posts
Hello,

I have a question regarding compound bow hunting . Is there table, a chart witch explains to you what kind of bow you have to use depending on the game you want to hunt ? And what does count more for a bow ? Strenght or speed?
For example : for turkey you need a bow with xxx fps and draw weight of xxx lbs.... Or for deer you need....
And say I have a 60# compound bow with 320 fps . I found a char on hunters friend and they say that for big game you need 70# compound bows and more. But if my bow is as fast as an 70# compound bow, can I use it for big game ?
As long as you stay within your states laws about bow poundage you are good to go. think about it people have been killing larger animals with arrows for thousands and thousands of years. An Indian Self bow shot wood/reed arrows with stone tips and at best got 150 FPS shooting off a cliff lol. So any modern compound can beat that with a super heavy arrow. You can shoot through a turkey with a 20# long bow, a deer with not much more. So buy a bow that is easy for you to draw and shoot and put your arrows where they need to go and you'll have dead critters. Randy

· Premium Member
10,938 Posts
You're trying to do more math than is necessary. As an example, assume your main goal is deer hunting. Any bow drawing 50# and using a properly spined arrow for the weight and draw length is plenty enough for deer sized game. Speed is not an issue and kinetic energy shouldn't be with any such setup. They're not near as important as being able to accurately shoot for the vitals. Don't overthink it. Mathematics doesn't put venison in the freezer.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I understand, unfortunately, at the moment, my states laws (country laws) do not allow bow hunting. They think that bow hunting encourages poaching.... That is a stupid rule... because it is more harder to hunt with a bow than with a rifle... and poaches if they want to hunt silent they can use silencers for their rifle...
But i guess that you are right, many modern bows are strong enough for hunting, and if the law modifies in my country, than i have a good bow for existing game here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.