Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to know if anyone here has bow hunted turkeys without a pop up blind, and have you been successful. Also i wanted to know how you set up to keep hidden.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I tried it the other day because I was in close proximity to some houses and didn't want to torch off a shotgun.

I got busted on the draw at 8 yards by a jake. He was going behind the last tree between me and him and just as he went behind it I started to draw and he stuck his head out quick enough to catch me :thumbs_do

Its been 9 years since I killed a turkey and this wasn't what I was hoping for. Maybe in 2019 it will happen. . .

Kelpy

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Got off two shots (missed by the way) shooting from inside the treeline into some knee high grass of an open area. With a blind I would have camped on the treeline instead of 20 feet inside it. Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Its tough as hell! I still haven't got a turkey after 3 years of trying.

I had a hen within 5 yards of me the other day and I was just sitting next to a big tree with some brush around me. It was so cool to have her that close! She came in sneaky and if it had been a tom there is no way I could have gotten drawn. I learned to always have your bow as ready as possible. mine was sitting cam on the ground and leaning into my leg (upright). No way i could have gotten it up and then drawn.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I have never shot a turkey from a pop up blind. Of the 4 i have shot with a bow 3 have been from treestands, and the 4th was while walking to where i was gonna set up, i saw the bird working my way and put a big tree inbetween me and him..MAKE SURE you have good cover while drawing they will get you everytime

·
Premium Member
5,430 Posts
Not from the ground but I do tree stand hunt for turkeys...it's a blast. I almost had one this morning. He started gobbling in some hardwoods next to my pine trees and the small clearing I was hunting. I hated to do it but had only 10 minutes until noon to shoot one. I made two soft yelps and no response...I knew he was going to sneak in on me. He slipped in on me and I didn't see him until he was 10 yards to my front. All I could do was hold still and watch as he started gobbling/strutting. He then slipped into the pines behind me and I would get glimpses of moving around and gobbling about 10 yards away. That's about as good as it gets without actually arrowing one.

Since I started tree stand turkey hunting I've been successful 3 of the 4 years. It's hard to pull off but when you do it's pretty exciting :thumbs_up

·
Registered
470 Posts
dxt122

Its tough I got busted today crawling into a shooting position the bird was closer than I thought. I hunted from daylight until 1130 and screwed it up at the last minute. If I would have been hunting with a shotgun it would not have been a contest. Te one nice thing about it is I can count on that bird being there tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
While bowhunting I have only called in 2 birds. I did get shots off at both and I was not using a blind. Thye are still in the woods though :angry:.

·
Liv4Rut
7,284 Posts
Over the past 5 years when I switched to turkey hunting with a bow I have devoted 2.5 days to turkey hunting with no blind. I have had three shot opportunities and scored on two birds and missed one.

The biggest thing is thing for me was having good terrain to sneak through creeks and drainages to position myself. I also wore a leafy suit that I feel helped dramatically. I also wait until the last season when the leaves are out and the understory is thick. That really helps with the stalking. I purely used spot and stalk method. I have never tried to actually call them in and shoot them while sitting on the ground. goodluck!!

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
I been trying to get up the nerve to try it. I don't want to use a blind either. I like the run and gun approach, so if i do it, I will do it without a blind. I'll have to wait till next year though. Tagged out this year already with a scattergun.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
YO! my first bird this season was from the ground, NO BLIND! we were just playing around, and let out a few sexy purrs. one tom let loose a gobble, and he was already coming..FAST. i sat next to a tree, and my friend sat in a bush with his dad. i took a gamble and set 32 yards from a tiny trail. it paid off. two birds came in. i waited until his head was behind a bush, and went to full draw. one he stood on the place i ranged, i let the slicktrick fly. it anchored his butt! the second bird, got all riled up and spurred my downed bird...my buddies dad, shot him with a benelli. we got a double. funnest bird i killed.

i think i was successful because i didnt let them come that close. i wasnt hidden that well.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
a1hoyt.ca

I hunt out west I do not own a blind most of the animals including Turkeys are taken off the ground with out a blind I own a treestand and use it very little. As for Turkeys I use my camo to full the Turkeys as much as possible. As for getting drawn I put my bow out in front of me and draw it back in one motion. I have killed 8 Turkeys with my bow only useing my camo.

·
Former Wyoming Boy
8,664 Posts
Sometimes I use light weight blind material, a couple of collapsable decoys and a small stool. These things will all easily fit in my turkey vest. You have to pick your days, though. If there's much wind, the blind material moves too much. You can do it without a pop-up blind though and it is way easier to carry.

If I know where the birds will come from, I will set the blind in an L shape with the side toward the birds. The back of the blind will act as camo to break my outline. If I don't know where they are, I set it in a V. Keep the blind just high enough to hide the top of your bow as you draw. It has worked well in the past, but you have to pick the time to draw. Best if their tail fan or a tree is blocking their view.

·
Registered
211 Posts
No blind yet

Well i have started turkey hunting with a bow this year and have not gotten one yet but i have had them in as close as i'm guessing 50 yds cause the place i wanted them to come into was an open area inthe woods that was 40yds at the farthest point. I got frustrated when they quit calling and walked away from me i heard them walking in the leaves ticked me off. My friend who hunts them quite successfully in vermont says they don't like walking directley down hill they'll walk up hill to get to a hen or side hill. Never heard of such a thing but i was down the hill from them so maybe he is right. Hope this may help some one else out there can't wait till this sat. maybe i'll get one.

·
Registered
638 Posts
you hunt spring turkey from a treestand never thought of that
I was kicking that around. Just looked over my shoulder the other day and saw my stand.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you use a decoy, try to set up between the turkey and the decoy, with your back to the turkey(against tree). When he walks past you and struts, draw and shoot. This will try your patience, as you cant see the gobbler until he gets past you, but it works. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I have only used my blind once this year, got 1 without a blind and I have missed 2(my fault). Could have put the smack down on many a jakes but they will be better next year. I find that if you get about 5 yards in the woods and use the shadows that you can gain a real advantage over the birds in the open field. I hunt small hills and use the draws and terrain to my advantage when setting up.

·
Registered
758 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Spot-and-stalk turkeys with a bow is one of the most fun and rewarding hunts. I've taken two Turkeys using this method and one from a blind. I've had my luck watching the birds travel routes, then finding natural funnels to set up and ambush before they get there...usually involves a lot of running and guessing but it's worked my last two seasons. Works best late morning when the birds are on the move feeding. I will flank the birds and draw my bow from behind cover, surprizingly my last two birds were taken at exactly 34 yards!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts