Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Isaiah 6:8
2,799 Posts
never used one myself but talked with a couple guys who swear by them. i would definitely use a back bar if you're not already, they got some weight to them

·
Registered
8,601 Posts
Check that they are legal for hunting in your state.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I have not experienced any negatives other than it takes a while to set it up. Honestly, its the best archery purchase I have ever made.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Some pro's and con's with it and I think it depends on the type of shooting you do. It's probably ideal for many people as noted by some of the comments above, but I'm probably going to go back to slider for hunting. Where I struggled with it was accurately ranging something while at full draw. On occasion, I'd mistakenly range the wrong distance at the range/3d course and would miss the target. Of course this same thing could happen with a regular range finder, but I found I was more likely to do it with the Xero just due to the difficulty of ranging while holding at full draw. If I was determined to stick with the xero, I'd probably want to shoot a bow with either a lighter draw weight than I currently shoot or a higher % let-off. When you range with the Xero, you need to line up a dot with a circle while holding the trigger down, not difficult, but like I said, at full draw it just adds to the fatigue factor and increased my chances of doing it wrong. Once ranged, the dot adjusts for the distance and you can also read on the screen the ranged distance. If the distance is known ahead of time, you'll immediately know if you ranged correctly or not...if the distance is unknown (say in a spot and stalk hunting situation where you were going to use the xero instead of a range finder), then you're relying on having done everything right with the xero...something I still don't have 100% confidence in for me yet.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,798 Posts
I'm with the Wino. You should look at the way you hunt. For me I hunt tight & close funnels and have an ambush style.....so I won't pay the money, have the extra weight & setup time, the possibility of batteries dying or failure all to take a 20 yard or less shot on a whitetail.

If I were hunting prongorns in WY I might think differently..........lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts