·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
20.55 lbs
10.5” beard
1” Spurs
No blind bow kill in eastern KY.
super proud of myself on this one, as of last night I was the only one in my entire county to kill one with a bow this spring...so far. Awesome experience.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,758 Posts
Very cool. I've been hunting turkeys for more than half my life and have never used a blind. It's a challenge but way more satisfying than sitting in a dark blind where the turkeys have little chance to see you move.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I've never liked hunting turkeys from blinds, on public lands where I hunt. Toms are usually on the move trying to find their perfect strutting areas to gobble and then just drum their hens in to them. I've also bumped birds while trying to set up blinds, when they've come to the simple sounds of setting blinds up. I usually don't have time to set blinds up, if I'm hearing a bird gobble. I just have to intercept him and get myself setup, without a blind.

I was lucky to learn that the first year I bow hunted turkeys. I'd set my elaborate blind system up in what looked like a perfect place, near roosted gobblers. They gave my hen calls lots of courtesy gobbles as they went about their business, going exactly where they wanted to, nowhere near my blind. I decided to break for lunch after a frustrating morning. I heard a gobble, a long way off, on my way back toward my truck. I decided to just enjoy trying to call him in. I tried mouth calls, pot calls and repositioned several times. I'd just thrown my bundled blind down on the ground. I finally got him excited using a box call, and used it to call him in from the last 250 yards, while sitting on a tripod stool, with my back to a tree. He came strutting in to 20 yards. I drew my bow when he strutted behind a tree. When he finally took 2 steps forward, I killed him.

I've talked to hunters who've bow hunted from blinds all season and never even gotten a shot opportunity.

I will say, I really learned to hunt turkeys, bow hunting without a blind. I've called in way more to bow range, than I've ever gotten to full draw on, but when I do kill one, it's a serious accomplishment. It's ruined my desire to hunt with a gun, because that's become too easy.

·
Vendor
25,512 Posts
20.55 lbs
10.5” beard
1” Spurs
No blind bow kill in eastern KY.
super proud of myself on this one, as of last night I was the only one in my entire county to kill one with a bow this spring...so far. Awesome experience.
Very nice! With that Ghilli suit, the need for a blind is greatly reduced. Makes the hunter more flexible and more options for setups.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts