Archery Talk Forum banner

Bow limbs splinter on edges: concern or just cosmetic?

1326 Views 17 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  350 FPS
During the season i noticed a thin splinter coming off the edge of my upper bow limb (Hoyt Defiant - non carbon). I broke it off so i wouldnt impale myself. Doesn't look like any more splinters are starting. Bow continues to feel and shoot good. Is it common issue for older bows? (4 - 5 years old)? Should i be concerned?
Bicycle tire Automotive tire Wood Personal protective equipment Bicycle part
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
872 Posts
Nothing to do with the bows age. It's a common problem with Hoyt that people don't seem to care about. I've had my Defiant limbs replaced twice because of the splinter. Did it after just a year and waited until I had string and cables replaced for the limb warranty replacement. Then it did it again just 6 weeks after they were replaced and had them replaced again. Last year I had a small one show up. I just clipped and super glued it . I'm done having them replaced unless they have a serious issue.

My bow before the Defiant was a Hoyt ultramag and all 4 limbs had those splinters. Shop at the time just told me to clip and super glue them. Thought it was just because it was a cheap Hoyt until I bought my Defiant. I'll never buy another Hoyt

· Registered
Hoyt Defiant
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the insights. Bummer the luck you've had with Hoyt. I love the bow otherwise... but the splinter had me concerned for sure. I may put a touch of super glue where i clipped them to prevent spread. Great advice.

· Registered
692 Posts
For what it is worth..my 2020 Hoyt Axius Alpha now had similar splitting on bottom limb last season..and replaced via warranty. This season I noticed on the season opener that I had same thing on other bottom limb. Due to the circumstances, I clipped the piece and dropped a dab of gorilla glue on it to hunt the season. I am going to have it replaced again, hopefully via warranty.

· Registered
3,443 Posts
I would have just lifted it slightly and glued it down - but it's a common problem and not normally any issue.

Reactions: OCHO505

· Registered
Hoyt Defiant
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would have just lifted it slightly and glued it down - but it's a common problem and not normally any issue.
Maybe i should add some super glue to my pack emergency fix kit since i use a hoyt. 😉 I discovered the splinter a mile from the trail head in search of elk with many miles ahead of me. I was pretty sure i was gonna stick myself... so i just broke it off. In hind sight, i had some gorilla tape wrapped on my trek pole, I could've used that as a temp fix. Live and learn! Thanks again for the great advice (and a little peace of mind).

· Registered
30,646 Posts
Strange how one fellow having a limb issue abruptly opens up a discussion for a number of Hoyt owners.....or former owners reporting the same issues. Some might say it is "just an AT perception" because this site is a small fragment of all the bowhunters and shooters using that brand. But on the flip side there could be a whole bunch of folks having the same issues and thinking it is a very isolated incident or something they did wrong. Not a fan of Hoyt and this is just another reason why...... :unsure:

· Registered
Mathews Traverse
4,760 Posts
I personally wouldn't shoot any limbs with any signs of splintering. My face is ugly enough, I don't need a bow blowing up in it. 😄 I know people just glue em and move on and sometimes it works but too much of a chance. I would get them replaced under warranty and then trade it in.

· Lift, Run, Shoot
15,081 Posts
I used to shoot Hoyt back in the day. Other than a very brief stint with a Spyder Turbo that was a disaster my last Hoyt I owned (and hunted) with was an AM32 but owned a few before that. Even back then I had limb splintering and learned that clip and go was the immediate solution as it was frankly not an uncommon issue back then. It has continued to be an issue. The way the limbs are laminated they can handle the stress of shooting even with splinters out of them but it’s not a good look and has to be costing them a chunk of change in warranty replacements. Haven’t been impressed enough to buy a Hoyt since but not because of the limb issues.

· Registered
420 Posts
It seems this was a problem for Hoyt for quite a while. I've never heard of anyone's bow blowing up because of the splinters on the edge of the limb. I wonder why Hoyt couldn't find a way to round the edges off a little.

· Registered
984 Posts
Nothing to do with the bows age. It's a common problem with Hoyt that people don't seem to care about. I've had my Defiant limbs replaced twice because of the splinter. Did it after just a year and waited until I had string and cables replaced for the limb warranty replacement. Then it did it again just 6 weeks after they were replaced and had them replaced again. Last year I had a small one show up. I just clipped and super glued it . I'm done having them replaced unless they have a serious issue.

My bow before the Defiant was a Hoyt ultramag and all 4 limbs had those splinters. Shop at the time just told me to clip and super glue them. Thought it was just because it was a cheap Hoyt until I bought my Defiant. I'll never buy another Hoyt
That’s funny, because I have owned at least 20 Hoyts and not had a single one splinter….ever. I also don’t make it a habit of knocking my limbs on something sharp…which is where most of the problems come from. Not saying it doesn’t happen, but being careless and stupid also doesn’t help. I am pretty careful to NOT knock my limbs into stuff, no matter what brand I am shooting. I’d get the limbs replaced on the OPs bow….never seen them all the way up the limb before. And I am not calling anyone here stupid or careless….just an observation that if you are careless with your bow, you have a way higher chance to splinter a limb. I have never had ANY limb problems, on ANY brand, other than Bowtech, and I have owned over 100 bows.

· Registered
Hoyt Defiant
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That’s funny, because I have owned at least 20 Hoyts and not had a single one splinter….ever. I also don’t make it a habit of knocking my limbs on something sharp…which is where most of the problems come from. Not saying it doesn’t happen, but being careless and stupid also doesn’t help. I am pretty careful to NOT knock my limbs into stuff, no matter what brand I am shooting. I’d get the limbs replaced on the OPs bow….never seen them all the way up the limb before. And I am not calling anyone here stupid or careless….just an observation that if you are careless with your bow, you have a way higher chance to splinter a limb. I have never had ANY limb problems, on ANY brand, other than Bowtech, and I have owned over 100 bows.
Good perspective... especially with a sample size of 100 bows! I'd say i am pretty rough on my hunting gear in general, although not intentionally so. I try to transport it carefully for sure... and keep it cased up when not in use. In the field its hard to say. Hunting is an extreme sport (mental and physical) and requires alot from me and my gear. Given i'm new'ish to bow hunting though... I should probably work to develop better bow hygiene and field care. It certainly couldn't hurt. I will work on that!

· Back Yard Champion
35,979 Posts
I've owned at least 11 Hoyts from 2000 thru 2006. Only one developed splinters - all corners except 1 of the qud limbs - 15 splinters - clipped, sanded, super glued over. It's my 2000 UltraTec. Developed early on. It shot great. Retired it. Brought it out retirement in 2005 to take 2nd place in a two state championship Field event. Retired it. Brought it out retirement in 2010 to win a Darchery Money shoot. Retired it. It is every bit as accurate and as fast as ever it was.

· Registered
946 Posts
During the season i noticed a thin splinter coming off the edge of my upper bow limb (Hoyt Defiant - non carbon). I broke it off so i wouldnt impale myself. Doesn't look like any more splinters are starting. Bow continues to feel and shoot good. Is it common issue for older bows? (4 - 5 years old)? Should i be concerned? View attachment 7751519
Id sell it after the season, leave a really "im disappointed" post on Hoyts social medias then buy from another bow maker. Just sayin.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts