Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much does a bow string stretch? I have a bear encounter and I feel as though my string has stretched and my DL has gotten longer. Once you have your bow tuned and set the way you like it do you need to re-tune it to keep it tuned or are bows pretty much a set them and forget them kind of thing?

·
Banned
9,000 Posts
All bow strings stretch to some degree, some more than others. If you are noticing an increase in draw length then it is time for a tune. Measuring your ATA is a good indication of stretch, just compare it to the manufacturers specs.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
With good quality strings there is less retuning. With cheaper and older strings there is nothing but issues...

·
Registered
11,266 Posts
many bow manufacturers factory strings are less than ok..
a custom made string can help you out aq great deal for sure.. check your ata and see what youve got for a length..

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Axel to Axel

·
Registered
8,267 Posts
Have you decreased draw weight recently? That will increase draw length.

·
Banned
9,000 Posts
So to fix stretch in my string I would add twist to it correct?
Yes but it is a little more complicated than that. Your string and cables would more than likely both need adjusting. There are many different cam systems and each need to be tuned in their own way. If you want to have a go at it yourself then post your bow make and model plus your draw length and draw weight and you will get plenty of suggestions, you just need to try and sort out who knows what they are talking about and who doesn't.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts