Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Fishing Guide
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading to KS to hunt Rios and I would like to fim my hunts with the Playsport I have mounted with an Insane Archery mount. Problem being this isn't legal according to the regs.

No bow shall have any electronic device attached to the bow or arrow, with the exception of lighted pin, dot, holographic sights, or illuminated nocks.

My question's are: does anyone have an experince with this being enforced because it doesn't give you an advantage? Don't want to get in touble, is it something I need to worry about?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
This is going to be changed I think at the KDWPT Commission meeting thursday night. I am not sure when it will go into effect. I would call the office in Pratt to check for certain. Talk to the law enforcement division. (620) 672-5911

·
Fishing Guide
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I sent an email to the DNR website, just today they replied with the regulation I quoted but didn't mention a possible change. Will call.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Good call on reading the regs. Too many would ignore the book and then whine about a stupid rule AFTER they got pinched. Post up the reply you get please

·
Fishing Guide
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's the email reply:

The camera mounted to the bow would not be legal because of the wording of our regulation --

No bow shall have any electronic device attached to the bow or arrow, with the exception of lighted pin, dot, holographic sights, or illuminated nocks.

I've attached this regulation - thanks for your email.

--
Marilyn Alberg
LE Division
KS Dept. of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism
512 SE 25th Ave.
Pratt, KS 67124
620-672-0707

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
How about a camera on a tripod? Although I can't imagine that you'd experience any legal trouble with the bow-mounted version.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
How about a camera on a tripod? Although I can't imagine that you'd experience any legal trouble with the bow-mounted version.
You can use a camera any way but mounted to a bow, hopefully that silly rule will be changed tomorrow.

·
Born yank raised south
17,066 Posts
If they dont change the rule get one of those LID Cams or the sunglasses ones as either would accomplish your goal.

·
OEF VI VET
6,681 Posts
Tripods are dirt cheap...you can get one that will work for $10 and you will have a better video in the end, along with being legal.

·
Fishing Guide
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info about the meetings Matt P., maybe it OK by then.

Not looking for other ways to hold a camera, the bow mount works perfect for me without adding extra gear; just want some footage, not looking for a TV contract. I hunt in the woods a lot and its easy to move the camera when a tree/sapling is in the way, and I like to stillhunt in the Fall.

My main issue is my bow is sighted in with the camera on; Kansas is just my first stop of the season, would be nice to not have to change anything.

·
OEF VI VET
6,681 Posts
Thanks for the info about the meetings Matt P., maybe it OK by then.

Not looking for other ways to hold a camera, the bow mount works perfect for me without adding extra gear; just want some footage, not looking for a TV contract. I hunt in the woods a lot and its easy to move the camera when a tree/sapling is in the way, and I like to stillhunt in the Fall.

My main issue is my bow is sighted in with the camera on; Kansas is just my first stop of the season, would be nice to not have to change anything.
The camera being on or off should not have any effect on your sights. I also have a playsport and an insane archery mount and everything shoots the same whether the camera is on or off. I shot 2 deer this past season with the camera running and mounted to my bow and the results weren't very good...the shock from the shot and me dropping my bow arm as soon as the shot went off caused both shots to be out of frame. You can find small tripods that will fold up and only be about 14" long when brought all the way down so it won't be hard to throw in a backpack and you'll be much more happy with the end result...I will be going the tripod route for this turkey season, and I bought a gorilla brand camera arm for next deer season (along with a better camera, canon vixia hf m50, which is awesome in low light)

·
Registered
682 Posts
goin to kansas as well and if your under 27 make sure u have your hunter safety certificate on you while your hunting, i think its a little crazy after the age 21 but whatever i guess

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
You're good to go now, they just changed the regulation so you can now mount a camera on your bow.

·
Fishing Guide
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, I saw that. The article I read mentioned that it would take a month before the new turkey regs would be made official "because of the legal process", hope they won't enforce it any more.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts