Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had a chance to put a DB meter on their bow? If so what were the results.

I used one to measure my stock Bowtech MightyMite... Here are the readings I got.

On the draw with a stock quick tune 1000: 40 db (measured at one ft)

Shots measured from 1 ft from the bow: 80 db

Shots from 10 ft from the bow: 71 db

I wanted to try the differant "silencers" to see what ones did best but didnt have the time.

Has anyone did a study of the sorts? It would seem that inquiring minds would want to know.

here is a rundown on human hearing

0 - Sound proof room, threshold of hearing.
10 - Rustle of leaves in a breeze.
20 - Whisper (side note: a whisper on my tester got 40-45 db from 1 ft)
30 - Quiet conversation
40 - Conversation at home (side note: my tester got up to 60 db from 10 ft away)
50 - Typical outside conversation
60 - Noise in a large shop
70 - City street
80 - Noisy office with typing (you need to raise your voice)
90 - Underground railway train passing
100 - Pneumatic Drill at 3 m
110 - Prop aircraft taking off
120 - Jet aircraft taking off - threshold of pain.

For relevance I can "snap" my fingers and reach 70 db. If I do a loud, hard snap I can reach a little over 80 db.

D

·
0 Posts
TeeBOY...

...wow...thats quite interesting...I would like to see this type of measurement for other bows as well!!:) ...

...good post!!...

>>>---DD--->;)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Where do you get a meter for measuring Db, and how much would you pay for such an instrument? I'd be interested in such testing. I'm sure there are some manufacturers that would not like to see the results.

Targetnut

·
Registered
16,232 Posts
There's a toy I don't have yet.

Let us know where you could get such a device.

Radio shack maybe?

Great post.

How many decibles do I produce when crying after a miss? I'm sure it's a bunch.:D

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Looking for a decible metere? Try asking your local car audio shop. They sometimes have them for testing competition cars. The shop about 10 minutes from here has one. Mine hit 137 db's :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts