Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been about 3 weeks that I have injured my right shoulder (AC separation) I am itching to shoot my bow but have set a date-Sept 18th.
I want to crank down the poundage of my bow to about 52-55 lbs.

The question is, is that enough KE and poundage to kill a deer? I am 28" draw shooting Easton Axis 400's 100 grain broadheads (Tekan II).

I am back to work, no restrictions.....

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Rest assured.....even 45 lbs. is plenty to pass-thru a deer with a modern compound and cut-on-contact heads.....

Your 52-55 lbs. will be plenty! :wink:

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
No problem!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Im shooting 51 at 26.5in this year and I know Ill have to problem cause ive done it with less. You will have no problem.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
is a tekan 2 a mechanical? if it is get a big 2 blade fixed or a small 4 blade fixed. tune it up and you'll be ok, just stay away from big bones.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
TexasGuy said:
Rest assured.....even 45 lbs. is plenty to pass-thru a deer with a modern compound and cut-on-contact heads.....

Your 52-55 lbs. will be plenty! :wink:
Yep...I'd be confident that'd work out with a well tuned bow shooting a sharp two bladed Magnus Stinger or something like that.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice

Thanks guys for all the quick responses and input. Will be cranking that bow down end of next week, that keeps the tempatation to a dull roar!!!

Good luck to all

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
I shot 40# for a year after a shoulder injury. Killed 2 deer and blew through both of them:)

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
i shot at 52 lbs.for a couple years after arm and shoulder problems.(i am only at 56 right now for hunting) you will have no problem blowing thru them.put her in the boiler room,youll be fine.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
35# min. in PA. I know several kids that had pass thrus with that min. weight. Cut on contact broad heads & under 20 yds. They had no problems.

Ray Ray

·
Another day in paradise!
3,711 Posts
As long as you can put the arrow where it needs to be you won't have a problem:wink: Good luck!

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
I did a number on my shoulder a few years back, and had to hunt with a Hoyt Mystic Contender wheelie bow in 50-60lb.

The first season I was shooting at 52lbs with Beman 500 ICS hunters and Rocket Steelheads. The next season I was up to 58lbs. (My 50lb Magnatec shoots the exact same arrow 25fps faster).

I didn't take shots over 30yds, and I only took broadside or slightly quartering away shots, but I shot about a dozen deer with it before it was retired. A newer Hoyt/Bowtec/matthews @ 50lbs is enough HP for any responsible shot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts