Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DOH! I can't buy one of those because I'm on fixed income. All I need to do is change out a tear drop style string for a martin Lynx magnum.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
If you're just going to minor stuff like that every once in a blue moon then the portable will work fine for you. If you spend alot of time tuning or work on alot of bows then a linear or X-press style press would suit you better. I have a Sureloc X-press and I love it. I usually just leave it set up for my bow unless I work on someone elses.

·
Banned
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool! thanks! If i had the money I'd definitely get better one and maybe a couple of other bows to work on with it to justify the expenses. LOL!=0)

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I want to buy a bow press. This is the best one like this right??

http://www.eders.com/product.php?productid=129532
I would recommend you consider the value of your warranty before going off spending a couple bills on a press... most manufacturers only warranty their bows if they are serviced by authorized dealers... something to consider.

Martin used to send a fiberglass rod with their bows that you can use to take the weight off the limbs by partially drawing the bow and sliding the rod through a specific place on the cam to lock it at partial draw.... only works for changing strings as the cables still have tension on them. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
DOH! I can't buy one of those because I'm on fixed income. All I need to do is change out a tear drop style string for a martin Lynx magnum.
You don't need a press to change a string on a tear drop bow unless it's a very old single tear drop.
I wouldn't try to explain this but find an archer who has been at this for a while and maybe they can show you how to do it.
Where are you going to get the string from? If it's from a shop maybe you can watch how they change it, it is really simple.
Make sure it's a "dacron" string only for that bow.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I have one of those. Bought it about 10 years ago. Works well. I used it to completely disassemble my martin several years ago to replace the limbs and bushings. Just use common sense and it will work well. As others have stated, if you are going to be doing alot then buy a nicer one but for occasional repairs this is the ticket.

·
space for rent
4,080 Posts
Draw the bow back and have someone you trust put the new string on the other side of the teardrops, when you let down the new string will most likely be a little shorter leaving the old string with enough slack to remove it from the teardrop. Done this several times before with no problems.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Andys right, except how we used to do it was stand on the string and pull upwards on the riser then use your free hand to install the new string on the other teardrops

·
Banned
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Andys right, except how we used to do it was stand on the string and pull upwards on the riser then use your free hand to install the new string on the other teardrops
HEY! that sounds like it would work!! I can't wait to get my new string now and try that. Even if I wish I'd saved my money and bought a newer bow with a less spongy back wall.

·
Registered
633 Posts
HEY! that sounds like it would work!! I can't wait to get my new string now and try that. Even if I wish I'd saved my money and bought a newer bow with a less spongy back wall.
Please be damm careful. If you are not sure footed or handed get a buddy to help you like andy said. One slip and the thing will dry fire up at your face. make sure the thing isn't loaded :cool:

·
Banned
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I used to have a recurve before it broke. I bet it would be like using the long leather looped string that I used to string the recurve. I don't have any idea how the thing broke, I just went to string it one day and it was broken.

·
Meat-N-Taters Kinda Guy
Chill-R for hunting, Barnsdale My Addiction ST for punching holes
15,533 Posts
I wouldn't bother buying a bow press at all. I mean, heck, ya got a truck, right? Or at least a car. Just place the bow between a solid wall or tree, and have a buddy back the vehicle up until the bow is pressed. Saves ya plenty of money to buy other stuff.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I wouldn't bother buying a bow press at all. I mean, heck, ya got a truck, right? Or at least a car. Just place the bow between a solid wall or tree, and have a buddy back the vehicle up until the bow is pressed. Saves ya plenty of money to buy other stuff.
Don't tell him that..OMG he might try it. :cool:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts