Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my first bow quiver and am planning on using it hunting. I've used a Vista Predator Broadhead hip quiver and successfully hunted small game for years with no fletching cover. For deer I just hang or lean it beside me in the blind. The bow quiver will, of course, put my fletchings out in front.

For those of you that use bow quivers, do you cover your fletchings?
Why or why not?

·
Embrace the suck!
7,736 Posts
Just bought my first bow quiver and am planning on using it hunting. I've used a Vista Predator Broadhead hip quiver and successfully hunted small game for years with no fletching cover. For deer I just hang or lean it beside me in the blind. The bow quiver will, of course, put my fletchings out in front.

For those of you that use bow quivers, do you cover your fletchings?
Why or why not?
I do not. When I'm going through brush I hold my bow up on top of my shoulder. And when I am pushing through timber I make sure and keep the bow oriented the right way so the fletchings don't get ruffled. I used a fletching cover when I was a kid and I remember it being a pain in the buns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: MrHall

·
Registered
143 Posts
I agree. I've left arrows out in the pouring rain to see how soaked fletchings affect arrow flight-never noticed a significant difference between wet & dry fletchings at the distances I shoot (20 yds and in.) Like what was said above, pay attention to what you're traveling thru while moving, & elevate the bow when you're going thru briars or lots of small branches-you'll be fine.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I use a fletch cover and I've had no issues with them. I've used them since the 80's, and will continue to use them.
They're designed to protect your feathers while hunting and to hide them from game.
I've never had an issue getting arrows out of them, and I make mine with a zipper so I can put them over my arrows easier. I've yet to have damaged feathers with them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I must admit I didn't really consider protecting feathers.... I was more concerned about spooking game due to them being out front on the bow versus behind me on the hip quiver. I can see the benefit of protection now that it's been mentioned.

I haven't been out in the field yet, but I do wonder about a potential conflict. The bow quiver gives the benefit of quick access to arrows, but if they are trapped between the quiver hood and the fletching cover, doesn't that make them hard to access?

·
Registered
274 Posts
No a fletch cover doesn't make the arrows harder to get out at all. I;m never had any issues.
Just push down to clear the hood and straight out. No issues.

·
Registered
227 Posts
when my arrows got soaked the first time, 1972 I went and bought arrows with plastic vanes. That and a raised rest worked until someone told me vanes weren’t “trad” some 15 years later. So I went to the yard goods store, bought some waterproof camo material and wife made me a cover. I did practice “fast “ drawing just to get a feel for it.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I don't think bright colors spook game (turkeys excluded), it's the movement. That said, I think movement of white 'sticks out' more than black. After spooking a couple of big bucks, I wasn't going to leave it to chance and started using one. That was probably 20 years ago.

I got one from, I'm pretty sure, Kathy Kelly Designs. Pretty simple. A hood for the feathers with an elastic cord that went around the broadhead cover. The only problem I ever had was in strong wind the elastic would vibrate and make a noise. I just tied a knot, problem solved.

Bowmania

·
Registered
67 Posts
I use a long skinny fake leather string bag I got used. Covers the feathers if there's not too many arrows in the quiver. I can tie the strings to the strap at the top of the quiver so the arrows can't fall out.
Doesn't look that cool so I want to make a better one out of real leather that matches the quiver. Maybe someday....

·
Registered
338 Posts
I never subject my feathers to conditions I would not be comfortable in myself. If rain is in the forecast my bow arrows and self are in a dry warm enviornment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts