Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checking around to see if I could possibly get some bow recommendations for 3D shooting. The first and last time I have shot a bow was in 2004 during an archery course in college and haven't touched a bow since. I'm wanting to get back into archery and am interested in shooting compounds for 3D targets. I'm not concerned with having to have the fastest speeds or the coolest looking gear. I'm more concerned with a forgiving bow that is smooth and accurate.

Could you possibly make some recommendations on some makes/models I should consider looking at? Also, what ATA length and brace height should I not go under? Whatever you list, please ensure that it comes available in camo. I think camo will be less reflective and distracting in bright lighting and sun light.

I will look at these models first and maybe some others that interest me, but this will help me narrow the field of what I should be more serious in considering. Please include brands that may not be mainstream but are excellent choices as well.

I know little about compounds as far as to best of breed, etc...

Thanks!

·
Registered
870 Posts
You are gonna get alot of opinions on this one. My choice is Hoyt. You wont find a better built bow. They fit the criteria you are looking for. Indoor and 3d.
You wont go wrong,
Jame

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think recommendations should also be made based on your DL and overall body size/type. Different shooters are going to appreciate different things in bows and i find shorter guys tend to recommend certain bows and taller guys recommend others...

·
Snafu
1,419 Posts
You have asked a very broad question. There are many very good manufacturers that produce a variety of equipment.

In no particular order, PSE, BowTech, Diamond, Hoyt, Mathews, Strothers are some of the best.
You did not mention cost. A good top-line bow can be had for 600-1600 dollars. Then you need a rest, sights, stabilizer, release, arrows, quiver, bow case, etc. You can end up spending a lot of money. Find a shop in your area and discuss what you want to do.
Shoot a lot of different bows and see what you like. Start with a good release. This is the foundation of your shooting. Buy the best release that you can afford. They last a long time. Then make sure that the draw length is perfect. There are several good articles on this subject in AT.

You cannot go wrong with any of the bows mentioned above. If money is no object go with a Mathews Z7 or Monster, BowTech Destroyer or Assasin, Hoyt Matrix or Element, or PSE X-Force Series. If cost is an issue, stick with Diamond (made by Bowtech). Strothers makes a nice bow but not a lot of shops have them. All of these are available in camo and they are all fast. There are varying brace heights, you can check this online on their websites. If you are a fairly new shooter, stick with a longer brace height. The Diamond bow can be had as a “ready to shoot” set. Make sure that the accessories in the set are what you want.

I would go to a local range and talk with people there about what they like and which shops treat they like and why. Be careful of big box stores. Make sure they have a good bow mechanic.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
301 Posts
For the money, you can't beat the PSE Supra. 38" ATA, 7" brace height, 4.5 lbs., 310-318 fps, with draw lengths from 26"-31" just by adjusting the modules that are included. The HP cam is butter smooth with a nice back wall. Its msrp around $700. Their customer service is great, and if you want something custom, their custom shop will get it done.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I have no problems with the big brand name companies like Mathews, Hoyt, Bowtech, and PSE. But dont be afraid to try one of the newer lines like my own Athens, Strothers, or Elite. The big brand Mass produce bows remind me of Mass Produced Beers like Bud, BudLight, Miller, or Coorrs which are all great products I just like something with a little more flavor like Yuengling or Sam Adams. Just my two cent worth.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The best thing you can do is go to a local shop or range, talk to people, and get your hands on some different bows. Find something that you're comfortable with that fits you. I shoot a Martin Shadowcat (long ATA) and my shooting partner shoots a Matthews (short ATA). I really like his Matthews. It's smooth as can be and a true pleasure to shoot, but I shoot better with my Martin because it seems to fit me better. I seriously suggest handling some bows before just settling on a particular one and buying it.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
I have shot PSE, Mathews, Hoyt, Darton (yeah thats right) and a few others. While most of the big names are putting out products that compete with each other in each category of archery, each company started with a particular direction....here's my opinion.

PSE - not bad gear, but haven't shot the new stuff...my last PSE was a mach 11. PSE somes from a good blend of hunting and target shooting in their history...and it shows as most of their models are dual purpose (ie hunting pkgs and target colors as well).

Mathews - the kings of speed. From the late 90s to the last few years they have been the pioneers of getting the most speed out of a bow. Most of the shooters who prefer Mathews (in my experience) tend to be very good shot makers and average at judging yardage...this is where the speed helps.

Hoyt - Look at the ranks of any FITA or world cup and you'll see Hoyt bows dominate this scene...hoyts are very good shooting and very forgiving bows, and their target specific models are some of the best in the business. Accuracy comes at a price, as most are somewhat slower in max capable speed. Most of the shooters I see with hoyts are either shooting situatons where speed doesnt matter (marked yardage) or are Very good at judging yardage and may not be the best shot makers in the group.

Find the bow that fits you the best, both in feel and in makeup....best blend of forgiveness and speed...you can't go wrong. after shooting many different types and models, I prefer a 37"ATA bow with a 7.5 - 8" brace height, and can usually find one in the 300fps range in those specs...shooting a hoyt protec for marked and fita and a conquest apex for 3d right now.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
It's all ice cream.....Every one has there own favorite flavor...Now, choose your favorite flavor.

Good luck and get exactly what you want, you'll know when you shoot it.

·
Registered
18,299 Posts
I have shot PSE, Mathews, Hoyt, Darton (yeah thats right) and a few others. While most of the big names are putting out products that compete with each other in each category of archery, each company started with a particular direction....here's my opinion.

PSE - not bad gear, but haven't shot the new stuff...my last PSE was a mach 11. PSE somes from a good blend of hunting and target shooting in their history...and it shows as most of their models are dual purpose (ie hunting pkgs and target colors as well).

Mathews - the kings of speed. From the late 90s to the last few years they have been the pioneers of getting the most speed out of a bow. Most of the shooters who prefer Mathews (in my experience) tend to be very good shot makers and average at judging yardage...this is where the speed helps.

Hoyt - Look at the ranks of any FITA or world cup and you'll see Hoyt bows dominate this scene...hoyts are very good shooting and very forgiving bows, and their target specific models are some of the best in the business. Accuracy comes at a price, as most are somewhat slower in max capable speed. Most of the shooters I see with hoyts are either shooting situatons where speed doesnt matter (marked yardage) or are Very good at judging yardage and may not be the best shot makers in the group.

Find the bow that fits you the best, both in feel and in makeup....best blend of forgiveness and speed...you can't go wrong. after shooting many different types and models, I prefer a 37"ATA bow with a 7.5 - 8" brace height, and can usually find one in the 300fps range in those specs...shooting a hoyt protec for marked and fita and a conquest apex for 3d right now.
I will add some more.

PSE- Now the kings of speed quiet and vibe free

Mathews- up there with speed goot shooting bows as well

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone. I appreciate your feedback. I have heard of Hoyt, PSE, Mathews, etc... I was not aware of Athens, Elite, or Strothers.

I had planned on going to a local shop so most of your responses reinforced the fact that I need to pick something that feels good to me. I now know of more brands that I can check out and I'm not afraid to do so. Too bad I will have to go out of town to be able to do this though. This may have broadened my search instead of narrowing it. I think I will use this as a positive as I have more options to choose from. I will be going to check out some bows soon to narrow the field with the goal to ultimately pick the one I like best.

Thanks again!

Happy Shooting!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts