Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm out on a trip and have my Omega bow with, but I noticed today there's an unfortunate ding out of my grip, exactly where my tungsten wedding ring sits. I can see the color of the wood in the spot and it's not glossy like the bow so I assume it's minorly chipped. I but some string wax on it for the time being (will this protect from moisture sufficiently?).
In terms of fixing it, should I iust dab some stain and coat with a bit of Tru Oil on the spot?

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Oh, no! (and I know exactly how much work you put into that finish!)

If it's a tiny "ding" with exposed raw wood, sure, go ahead and dab some stain but wipe it off quicker than usual (maybe even immediately) to make sure you don't over-darken it. You can do it again the next day if you need it darker.

The Tru-Oil is perfect, as that is your original finish. Just take a tiny piece of paper towel and feather it over the spot. You know the drill on re-coats, and after you think it is about right you can steel wool it carefully and it will most likely blend in perfectly. I had a similar problem on a bow and did this successfully, both on a riser and tip ding.

The ding will remain, but it will be a nicely finished ding. A gouge may want for some back-fill of material to even a surface, but a small ding is just that, and if you're like me, their may be some more coming along the way.

If a bow looks used, then it has been well-used.

·
Registered
20,547 Posts
CF -

What Thin Man said is correct, but the real problem is stopping it from happening again.

Since I doubt you (or the Mrs.) would be in favor of loosing the wedding ring, I would smooth it out, apply the true-oil to seal the wood, and then put a THIN furniture pad, or something similar over it.

Funny story, a guy I used to shoot with had a blemish on every one of his bows, in the exact same spot. After a little bit of figuring, it was also from his wedding ring, but not from when he was shooting, from while he was caring the bow in the field!

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! Thin Man, good to know I'll get to fixing up when I get home. Yeah as long as it's not a deep gouge I don't mind, wear gives it character.

Viper - good call, I was thinking something similar. That's the issue with tungsten rings especially, they're near indestructible but seem to break everything else. I remember my ring knocking pretty hard on the bow while I was carrying it actually and thinking "ooh I need to be careful of that."

·
Registered
20,547 Posts
CF -

Ain't just tungsten. Don't ask me how I know or figured out the furniture pad trick...

Viper1 out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts