Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a friend that I met at a shoot brought his bow over the house and asked if I could get it to shoot. As I had put a new rest on last year for him. The bow is a old Martin single cam, about a 1992, the bow is setup at 60 lbs, has a simple fork type rest and sight is a fiber optic scope. I found the reason he was having flight problem was the cable guard had moved and was hitting the fletch on the way out. I found the rest and nock brass sets to be ok and peep was cracked. Replaced peep with new peep super size for hunting. The problem is I get great flight but the sight scope is now as high as I can move up and it still is hitting 6 inch high over a bull at 10 yards. The other thing is the bow seems to be maybe a 31+ inch draw, as when I ancor I do not get a solid wall till the bow string is in back of my ear. Can the problem be the bow draw length is to long for both him and me. He is no a big man, I draw 30 inch normal draw....Help any suggestions, I did move the peep as low as I can in the string, I also played several times with the rest and moved in as low as I can get as well..........thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Too long a draw length can be tough to shoot accurately. If at all possible shorten it to a more comfortable length. If the sting is very old it may have stretch or if it had been replaced it may have been replaced with a string that was too long. This will increase draw length and reduce draw weight.If the power cable has been replaced with one a little too short it will increase draw length and increase draw weight. As for the arrow hitting high, move your peep down the string a little. If the arrow rest has a tension adjustment you may soften that some too.

Good Luck.

·
X's R Us
3,458 Posts
If the string is by your ear of course the draw is too long.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Sorry Bill. I didn't pay attention to the last part of your post. It sounds like the string may have been put on backwards if it will not let you put the peep low enough. I've done this myself when replacing a string. Take the string off and reverse it. While you have it off make sure its the right length.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts