Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I live in Ogden Ut. and have NO access to indoor shooting unless I drive thirty or so minutes north or south. Also not a very good selection of shooting supplies/pro shops to choose from, unless you are just fine going to sportsmans for the in and out treatment. So I have come to the conclusion I need to start an indoor range and pro shop. If anyone out there has any good info on how to even get this baby rolling, thing to avoid or definitely pursue, please help me out. Also if you are in the biz and would be willing to help with a business plan, or anything else you could think of, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

·
Registered
100 Posts
30 minutes is not bad in a large city. It used to take me almost an hour to get across Spokane to the pro shop I liked when I lived there. Make sure you look at demographics to be sure that you will have a large enough customer base with shops 30 minutes away, north and south.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah the shooting part isn't so bad. The lack of pro shop is the big kicker. That and I'd really like to be able to help share my love of the sport. Quick easy access to an indoor range is mostly an added bonus!

·
Shootin and Cussin
22,935 Posts
Have you ever run a business before?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have helped start and sell one and was involved in running one for a little over a year

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
bk, there is a club at Hill AFB that is putting up a new indoor range as we speak, and all you need to do to get in is get in contact with their club rep and sign up for a Visitor Access Pass, so that you can go shoot there. Their club fees are very good, and they have a couple bow presses and have a nice outdoor 3D range all summer as well as 20-60 yard practice range. pm me if you need contact info and I'll help you get hooked up. As for a pro shop, well, I am about 30 minutes away in Logan, or you have Tom at Sportsman's warehouse to sell stuff to you...or Wilde Arrow is in Centerville about 30 min south...

As for starting a shop, if you've helped start and sell one you have an idea of all the expenses as well as a basis for figuring out your start-up costs. The fact that you have already got most of the big brands available within a 30 mile radius means that you'd have to make a living off of less well known brands... believe me when I say, that won't make you even close to a living, especially in "Frugal" Utah... I've looked into a partnership with a friend in S. Ogden to start a shop, but the cost of operating in that area is so much higher than where I am at that we've held off till we can find a better working environment and set-up... if you find one that is reasonable, get in touch with me... maybe it could happen.

I forgot to mention, look at all the "shops" that are already listed in that area before you go starting from scratch... maybe you could walk into one of them and for less money and effort buy one that already has a customer base, and you could make improvements and growth without having to start at 0.

·
Registered
10,111 Posts
subscribed

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is some good info. I haven't been involved in starting an archery shop, just a business doing lawn curbing and general handyman and maintenance. I was kinda hoping to get some response from ogdenites as to the demographics. I have talked to a bunch of people and probably 70 out of a hundred would love an indoor range,I just am not sure how to get a better idea for the demand. I do know the big three are pretty well represented. I would be interested in sitting on the base..

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
they all love it getting them to acctually use it is another thing. i have a full landscaped 35 yard indoor 3d range with shop and from may 1st to end of sept . im lucky if i get 10 shooters a month but i still have to be here .but probably 90 pct of my customers come from more then 25 miles .

·
Registered
10,111 Posts
A 30 minute drive is really not all that far.

And if those shops do not have a large selection (in your opinion) there may be a good reason for that. Perhaps they know what they are doing and don't want to wrap their money up in products that they may sell 1 or 2 a year.

Part of doing a business plan is for the bank of course, the main part is for YOU!! It's a learning experience and forces you to get the information yourself. Learn your areas demographics.
It will make you better prepared if you do decide to pursue this adventure.

You really do not want to base your future on the opinions of us here or even people you ask locally. As, they will not tell you the truth they will tell you what you want to hear.
Base your business decisions on hard facts.

Just jump in , read lots of information, do your homework so to speak. Then decide if it's worth it for you. You'll be the better business owner for it.

Don't take me wrong I am not trying to discourage you, it just seems you may be looking for the easy way into this thing and trust me it is not easy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh no I totally agree with you. I'm not looking for someone to throw it together for me, just looking for info and a good place to start from from the people that have the most experience. While getting info from here I'm trying to get more info from the dwr I on tags sold and from the local college that offers an archery course to try and find how many people could or would use use it. Thanks for all your input so far I greatly appreciate. it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts