Archery Talk Forum banner

Bow shop said it’s normal

1385 Views 13 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  MMhunter81
So a few years back I bought a used reign6 and had a set of new strings on it and had them crank it to 70. Problem is the scale reads 67lbs when fulled cranked down. My shop told me it was because I had the modules flipped to comfort instead of performance. Is this correct? Could something be wrong with my limbs and need different limbs?
Wood Glove Trunk Woody plant Hunting knife
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
5,244 Posts
No. The module has nothing to do with draw weight, just draw cycle.

The shop should have twisted the cables to bring the draw weight up to spec when they installed the strings.

Edit: Did it read 67 pounds when they installed the new strings, or is it reading 67 pounds after you've been shooting it for a few years?

· Registered
Reign 6, Reckoning 35, SS34, Hamskea, HHA, MBG, Tight Spot, Illumapin, Shrewd, Stan, Carter
2,424 Posts
Confirm the ATA as well.

Reactions: Bullhead-44

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok that gives me hope then. They gave it back to me at 67 lbs said they couldn’t get it to 70. So I will be going to a different bow shop. Lol thanks guys saved me a bunch of hassle

· Registered
6,903 Posts
cables need some twistie roos.
Agreed... there is no reason they or any other shop couldn't add a little preload to the limbs (twist cables) to get you to 70# other than they are "lazy" or "don't care enough" to provide service.

· Registered
2,990 Posts
Agreed... there is no reason they or any other shop couldn't add a little preload to the limbs (twist cables) to get you to 70# other than they are "lazy" or "don't care enough" to provide service.
I think it falls under the category of 98 percent of these shops don’t have a clue what they are doing. I’ve been in shops all over the country and can’t think of more than 1 that was at a level of knowledge they should be.

and it’s funny bc it’s always them saying “those guys over on the internet don’t know anything” hmmm coming from the guy who just tied a left handed d loop on a right handed bow. Got it.

· Registered
920 Posts
I think it falls under the category of 98 percent of these shops don’t have a clue what they are doing. I’ve been in shops all over the country and can’t think of more than 1 that was at a level of knowledge they should be.

and it’s funny bc it’s always them saying “those guys over on the internet don’t know anything” hmmm coming from the guy who just tied a left handed d loop on a right handed bow. Got it.
Same. These bow manufacturers just give out dealer licenses willy nilly. Some shop’s I’ve been to dont paper tune or know anything about it. Yet they are a Hoyt and Mathews dealer. IMO it makes those companies look bad for giving them a dealer title…

· Registered
6,903 Posts

1) I may have uttered those very words to more than a few customers....My favorite is "paper tuning fixes everything"....

2) Left/Right handed D-Loop means nothing. I've played with this a gazillion times... Zero impact on scores, bareshaft or broadhead POI.... I obviously didn't do this test with every bow I've setup/tuned but...I can say with certainty, with me shooting and with a hooter shooter, the orientation on the knots had zero change in POI on my Halon, Halon 32, Evoke 35 or PerformX. I even tied a loop with both knots exactly the same....as long as the knots provide a straight peep at full draw, I saw ZERO deviation in POI.

3) I think this comes down to the shop guy wondering how he was gonna make $$$ by twisting cables to get to the proper DW. He probably didn't think the customer would want to pay him so rather than argue he should get paid for his time and efforts, he just found a way/reason to not do the job.

I have a history on here for "sticking up" for my fellow shop owners.... The only reason I could think of for a shop owner to "refuse" to do this work is the customer is unwilling to pay him for his time. (this is the only reason I would turn away this work)

· Registered
2,990 Posts
1) I may have uttered those very words to more than a few customers....My favorite is "paper tuning fixes everything"....

2) Left/Right handed D-Loop means nothing. I've played with this a gazillion times... Zero impact on scores, bareshaft or broadhead POI.... I obviously didn't do this test with every bow I've setup/tuned but...I can say with certainty, with me shooting and with a hooter shooter, the orientation on the knots had zero change in POI on my Halon, Halon 32, Evoke 35 or PerformX. I even tied a loop with both knots exactly the same....as long as the knots provide a straight peep at full draw, I saw ZERO deviation in POI.

3) I think this comes down to the shop guy wondering how he was gonna make $$$ by twisting cables to get to the proper DW. He probably didn't think the customer would want to pay him so rather than argue he should get paid for his time and efforts, he just found a way/reason to not do the job.

I have a history on here for "sticking up" for my fellow shop owners.... The only reason I could think of for a shop owner to "refuse" to do this work is the customer is unwilling to pay him for his time. (this is the only reason I would turn away this work)
I’ve seen the d loop effect bareshafts when tied backwards while also being on the shorter side. At 3/4 or longer I don’t think it has an effect. And even when it’s shorter it’s minimal. But I wouldn’t wear my shoes on the wrong feet just bc it didn’t affect the way I walked… theres correct. And there’s incorrect and facts are 99 percent of the shops out there don’t know which way is correct. I think that’s the point.

· Registered
698 Posts
I tie my d-loop in a specific knot orientation because it seems to prevent it from wanting to spin around the serving during and after the shot, not because I think it impacts the arrow flight.

· Mark
6,724 Posts
Poor quality bow technicians is why so many learn to work on their own equipment. Plus you tune your bow for you vs tech tuning your bow for him. The odds of any tech having the same grip as you are slim to none, grip changes everything. Good example, I purchased a new bow from very reputable shop and was told the bow was well tuned shooting bullet holes. I got home shot thru paper at 10 yards and had 2” left tear. 10 minutes later it was bullet holes! I really enjoy working on bows myself and find it rewarding with good results. Bow techs are the easiest to tune and one reason I have stuck with them from yokes to deadlock.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts