Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, what bow shop stores do y'all have? funny? Dangerous? Plain dumb?

Here's mine
When I got my elite Victory for Christmas I had to go get get a peep sight and D loop, since no local shops were open until after the new year, I got talked into going to gander mountain to gave it done, after all how hard is it to put a peep sight and D loop on?
So we go there and the guy puts the D loop, and goes to press it and notices the limb stops we're in the way, no big deal, just take em out! (Red Flag #1) then he gets the bow pressed and puts the peep sight in, puts the limb stops back in and I check it for height, the he take the limb stops back out presses the bow again ties the peep and has me check it once more, but before I draw it back, he takes the bow to the back to do it himself. Now remember, I didn't say he put the limb stops back in.
After a few minutes go by he walks from the back with my bow locked at full draw, has someone press the bow and get it back to where it should have been, and puts it all back together, And I was on my way with a new bow and a crazy story.

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
I can give you some from a shop owner.

1) My wife ordered me some of those new G5 Dead Meat broad heads off Amazon and she order the wrong ones for me. She got me the deep six ones and I wanted to know if I could bring them out and swap them for the right ones with you?
2) I know you aren't open today but I found a really good deal on a used Obsession online. I have never shot an Obsession before so I don't know how they run on draw length. Would you open up for me today to come out and try some of your new Obsessions to see if I like the way the shoot and figure out what draw fits so I can order that bow?
3) I am at Bass Pro right now and don't know what spine and length to cut my arrows. I know you have one of those arrow programs so could you run my numbers in your program so I can tell the Bass Pro guy what arrows, spine, and length to cut them.

I could go on and on. :)

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I was @ a sports store in ames ia. I was gonna pick up some vanes or something like that but I was also just looking to see what they had. I see the bow shop guy hand a bow to a teen aged young man and he said try that, like the guy had made some adjustment on the bow. the young man can hardly get the bow to full draw and w/o an arrow on the string and right out in front of the counter. I have visions of the bow string slipping out of the young mans fingers and disintegrating b4 my eyes. I step away, out of harms way. I want to say something but don't, not just about drawing a bow w/o an arrow on the string but this bow had way to much draw weight for the young man. I'm glad this is not my bow shop.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Had a guy drop my bow out of a press once. It was even a last chance power press, so he had two free hands. Luckily nothing bad happened to the bow. Needless to say, I never let anyone there touch my bow again.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts

1) My wife ordered me some of those new G5 Dead Meat broad heads off Amazon and she order the wrong ones for me. She got me the deep six ones and I wanted to know if I could bring them out and swap them for the right ones with you?
2) I know you aren't open today but I found a really good deal on a used Obsession online. I have never shot an Obsession before so I don't know how they run on draw length. Would you open up for me today to come out and try some of your new Obsessions to see if I like the way the shoot and figure out what draw fits so I can order that bow?
3) I am at Bass Pro right now and don't know what spine and length to cut my arrows. I know you have one of those arrow programs so could you run my numbers in your program so I can tell the Bass Pro guy what arrows, spine, and length to cut them.

I feel your pain.. I remember those days. Countless stories.. But a real quick one.
Had a guy who's nickname was shorty. Came in one day and and had this huge bandage on side of his face and wanted to know if I could adjust draw length on this bow he had bought the day before at a YARDSALE. Needless to say it was some old bow don't remember what brand but it had no adj. and was way outdated not even made anymore. Of course I figured out what happened pretty quick. This thing had a draw length of 30 and his draw was no more than 26. He was screwing around with it and drew it back to shoot and somehow his face :) :) :) got in the way. Go figure. But, as most of those types end up it was my fault because I didn't know how to fix it to make it work for him..

·
Registered
557 Posts

I feel your pain. I am in the auto parts business, and it is amazing what people will do if they think they can save a dime.

·
Registered
11,276 Posts

Beware! They walk among us.

·
Registered
237 Posts
"Please cut these 10 dollar arrows I am buying from you to 28 7/8" for me please.

I just took them to my room to glue my inserts in. They are 26".

Seriously? Incompetence is inescapable in today's world.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Also from an archery tech at a pro shop.

I had a customer that wanted his bow tuned. It was pretty bad. He came back a couple of days later and complained that he could not hit the target now that I had tuned the bow and wanted me to put it back the way it was. When I asked him what was happening, he said that the way he aimed was to swing the bow through the target and when he was close to the spot, he would release the arrow. But now the bow was so fast that he was hitting the spot where he release the bow instead of the spot a couple of inches to the left.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I was in the shop the day before deer season opened and two guys came in that had never shot a bow or deer hunted before. They wanted to buy two bows, treestands , and everything they needed to go hunting the next morning.

·
Registered
10,111 Posts
Guy came in to use our range.
Apparently he had ordered arrows online, amazon, ebay or something.

Came back into the shop a few minutes later with all his inserts and field points missing, said they pulled out in our target. I asked him what type of glue he used.
His answer: "Glue?? I just stuck them in the ends of the arrows."

Another person bought a treestand from Gander Mtn using his points, He brings it in to me to exchange for a different model, one Gander didn't have in stock.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
I walked in a shop, a guy standing at the door asking everyone that came in if they wanted to buy his bow. I asked him if he worked here (I knew he didn't). He said no, his buddy had a good deal on a bow he wanted, so had to sell this one.

·
Registered
748 Posts
A guy pulled up in limo to a friends shop. Out pops a couple of kids and dad and 3 bows just purchased from Gander Mountain. Asks if he can get these set up. They are left handed and everyone is right handed.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Bought a brand new Elite and was having it set up. Have to take one of the draw stops out to get the bow into the press. The owner had me draw the bow with only one stop in place (something he has always done) and the bow locks at full draw. I stood on a chair to get the bow back into the press while holding it at full draw. Will never make that mistake again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts