Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
28,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets face it....sizes are down in every line but prices are up LOL I remember the "good years" when I would trade twice a month or two. Can you call it "good years".....probably not. Losing 30-50% on each transaction is.......well it's stupid.....no other way to word it.

I've given my Nitro RDX to my son. Not because I didn't like it.....it's proved itself for 3 years now...I did it because he hasn't given me any problems and I felt he deserved it. We're still hunting in the stand together and he only hunts when he's with me so I can make it another year with just one bow. However......I've started the painful process of finding it's replacement.

If I had to decide today it would probably be the Assassin but I'm not buying anything right now. Even that crossbow is quite an investment once you add all you need. I at least want to hold one first. I've killed deer with crossbows from 270-390fps and they all died the same LOL Any of them will kill a deer. It's finding one you know you will be happy with and not get the itch to trade.

Point of my post is this is how crossbow shopping should be. It shouldn't be easy. The way prices are today it's a major investment for most of us. You can learn from my past bad choices and understand it isn't something to take lightly. It's like getting married. That little thing that bothers you about a product could become big later on.

Yes, its a painful process but if you take your time and find the one that fits you, best price for the features you are looking for, it can save you a tremendous amount of income down the road. I'll probably end up with a curve myself but I'll take my time with that decision :) Little over 2 months left here so we are getting close :) Looking forward to your deer pics!

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I hear ya!! Im done loosing $ on bows. I have found the one that will serve my needs for years to come. :)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I thought you had one on order from Dave ???

·
Registered
28,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought you had one on order from Dave ???
I did but it's been a rough year and I can't get the X. Plan B up next lol Probably end up with a recurve but I'm going to take my time. I can get by with the RDX another season if I have to. I'm hoping to hold an assassin at some point this year. I have a few more I want to look at as well and I'm not in a hurry.

·
Banned
35,283 Posts
What pin had a problem with bows??? :mg: I don’t believe that ha, ha. Dont we all and yes that Assasin looks nice but I’m in same situation funds are tight so the perfectly capable Matrix 355 I got for a good deal will do just fine.

·
Registered
21,713 Posts
You know what I’m hanging on to. I honestly don’t see anything I’d trade mine for. And for sure lose money and spend more money on. Not that I don’t think there nice. But like you said Pin there just as dead.

But best of luck to everyone buying a new bow.

·
Registered
28,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah like I said on this same post on CN....you could post a $2500 bow for $5 and they would want it for $4 and I can't play that game any more. If I had it do do over I would have put 135lb limbs on my Orion and kept it last year. Just want to be careful on what I buy because trading is too expensive for me these days. I have another year before I'm pushed so I can take my time.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I’m with you Pin. I’m gonna buy a new bow, and I’m taking my time. I want to keep the next one a while. Those Excals are talking to me. Lol!

·
Registered
28,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m with you Pin. I’m gonna buy a new bow, and I’m taking my time. I want to keep the next one a while. Those Excals are talking to me. Lol!
Smart shopping! Excal did a bang up job this year! There are a lot of great crossbows out there this year and will be even more next year. Companies are working on size :)

·
Registered
28,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What pin had a problem with bows??? :mg: I don’t believe that ha, ha. Dont we all and yes that Assasin looks nice but I’m in same situation funds are tight so the perfectly capable Matrix 355 I got for a good deal will do just fine.
Nothing wrong with an M 355 :) Solid bows that will last a lifetime!

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Sorry to hear you're not getting the Nitro X Todd. I'm rolling with my Venom again this Season, most likely going to have that one for awhile. I love that bow and see no reason to unload it.

·
Registered
28,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry to hear you're not getting the Nitro X Todd. I'm rolling with my Venom again this Season, most likely going to have that one for awhile. I love that bow and see no reason to unload it.
Thats a good one Gil! Bows will come and go..........like relationships LOL ;) We all get over it ;)

·
Banned
35,283 Posts
Yep nothing wrong with the M 355 and with the Tapps I got from Joe/rt2 and the Flemish string from smokepolehall it shoots great.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I am right along with you guys. Put new limbs on so it is 90% a new bow. Not a high end bow to start with but it is what I can afford and I own it free and clear. I like the reverse draw concept and with the crank, cocking is not a problem. With bad shoulders & back, uncle Arthur doing his dirty work and just plain getting old, the Vengeance will do just fine as long as I am able to get out in the woods. No more stick climbing, strictly ladder stands. Love reading about those $2000 weapons, and they will continue to make them as long as people will keep planking down the $$$ to buy them, which is the way the system works but that is way out of my league. Have a safe & fun season coming at us.

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
I'm not buying anything new. Bow prices are outta sight.. I'm gonna roll with my FX4.

·
Registered
17,345 Posts
I was hoping to buy your nitro x lol

·
Registered
9,413 Posts
Kudos for giving your son that excellent Carbon Nitro, and good luck on the new crossbow search. My two main bows make me conpletely disinterested in any new or used recurve available. I may be acquiring one of the most interesting compound crossbows I can think of if a little while, so I'm set. Even sighted in and broadhead checked.:teeth:

·
Huntoholic
10,772 Posts
I am looking at the last compound I ever buy whenever the Stealth Elite get's released,,

I really have a hankering for the true 400 Matridog cutting down a 400BD rail to accommodate a Matrix front end with a 405 power stroke! We have all seen what I have said all along the Excalibur limbs are more than capable of taking the poundage of a 405 Matrix,, now that Excalibur is finishing their own limbs, and they are no longer over cooked, this very obvious, with even more 405's out there, we don't hear about limb failures anymore. Please forgive me,, but I told you so! Having 2 405's and never having an issue with their limbs, I loved em except for one thing,, they were too freak'n long! This would make them around a 350 in length, and reliable as Excalibur's always were, while shooting around 375 fps, the top end of the sweet spot, with a 420 grain 18" arrow.

But as much as I like the Assassin, I just can't get fuzzy about it with the traveling trigger carriage, but I am also thinking instead of all the changes to the BD to have it my way,, maybe go with Suppressor, I lived mine, just couldn't cock it enough to enjoy it, now that they have the charger that would be solved, I just wish it was a little more friendly and could be fit into the stock permanently.

But those three bows are the end of my quest, 2 compounds now,, and I need a mate for the Mad Max combo, and I'm done, after 7 years into converting from vert's, it's loosing it's interest, I've played with em all,,, that are worth playing with,, and now it's time to get back to enjoying my revolvers more,, while I still can.

·
Registered
28,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was hoping to buy your nitro x lol
Sorry lol Like the RDX it probably would not have been sold anyway if that helps LOL I'll try to let you know what I end up with in case you are interested in that one ;) LOL

Joe let us in in the secret compound when you can ;)

When I get all this OT behind me and my CC class I'm going to try to take a road trip and hold a few. Maybe check the bargain cave LOL

1 - 20 of 49 Posts