Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the market for a new sight. I was going to get another 5 pin fixed, but my bow tech suggested a sight that he sells; the buck rub carbon fixation. Anyone else have experience with these?

It's a 2 pin sight, a fixed pin and a slider. Looks like a practical, minimalist sight, very light weight and it made me think about moving away from a fixed 5- pin.

I'm looking at other single pin sights, HHA tetra/ optimizer, black and gold white tail etc. Seems like the price goes WAY up when the sight has 3rd axis adjustability. How necessary is 3rd axis with a single pin?

I have little experience with different sights, zero experience with single pins. What should I look for? Any recommendations for a reasonably priced single or double pin sight?

I'm mostly shooting targets right now, but the goal is to create the optimal hunting bow, and I would like to be able to shoot out to 80 yards at least.

·
Registered
Isaiah 6:8
4,003 Posts
for hunting i prefer a multi pin sight. 3d and target i love my single pin hha. get 20 post and check the classifieds, great deals in there. never heard of the sight pictured tbh

·
Registered
11,537 Posts
If you are hunting steep terrain then 3rd axis is good to have. Eastern hunting like myself on flat ground in thick woods with 30-40 is your top range then not so much. I switched from a dual pin sword to a multi pin sword sight.

Tons of great companies and each of them offers outstanding customer service. I agree about getting up the post count and searching the classifies

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have some experience with 5, 7, and now a dual pin. I went to a 7 pin because like you I thought I wanted to shoot longer distances. What I found was that when deer were coming from left to right in front of me I made poor shots (twice). I believe all 7 of those pins were blocking the entire front of the deer making it hard to pick a good spot. Dito to Dbolick on the classifieds. After season I found a great deal on a spot hogg double pin. I'm already noticing better shot placement without all the pins in my sight picture. Just my $.02 based on my experiences.

·
Registered
20,872 Posts
Mulit pin are to confusing, would stick with a slider & most of the time in the woods can leave it at 30 yd.
& be good to go.

·
Registered
Mathews VXR 31.5, Black Gold Pro, QAD Integrate MX, 10/8 Flatlines, Mathews V-Bar, Victory RIP TKO
170 Posts
I’ve never heard of the sight you’re referring to, but I can tell you a little bit about what I’ve learned with sights. First off, don’t ever get anything with a lenses. If you can avoid having a battery, do it. That’s at least the case where I live (MN). Batteries don’t do well in the cold here. I’ve used a number of different sights and haven’t found anything better than my Black Gold sight. It’s the first sight I’ve owned that has pins that are bright enough to make it all the way to the end of legal shooting hours. I’d recommend a multi-pin sight for hunting whitetails in the woods and a single pin for hunting out west. You’ll find you want multiple pins for whitetails because they can catch you by surprise sometimes and you usually won’t have time to range them before they walk off. You usually have time out west, so a single pin is nice for having a clear sight window. Also, regarding third axis adjustability, it’s really a nice thing to have when you’re shooting steep angles (such as shooting out of a stand). I’d recommend searching through the classifieds on here to get a deal on a used Black Gold sight. Their customer service is second to none. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the feed back! For those who mentioned it- Buck Rub is an archery outfitter in Wisconsin. They have their own gear and the guy I go to is a big fan of their equipment. The guy I go to for bow strings/ tune ups says with his set up the 20 pin is good from 8-28 yards and he has the slider for the longer shots. Not super high end, but like I said it seems very practical.

·
Registered
28 Posts
In the market for a new sight. I was going to get another 5 pin fixed, but my bow tech suggested a sight that he sells; the buck rub carbon fixation. Anyone else have experience with these?

It's a 2 pin sight, a fixed pin and a slider. Looks like a practical, minimalist sight, very light weight and it made me think about moving away from a fixed 5- pin.

I'm looking at other single pin sights, HHA tetra/ optimizer, black and gold white tail etc. Seems like the price goes WAY up when the sight has 3rd axis adjustability. How necessary is 3rd axis with a single pin?

I have little experience with different sights, zero experience with single pins. What should I look for? Any recommendations for a reasonably priced single or double pin sight?

I'm mostly shooting targets right now, but the goal is to create the optimal hunting bow, and I would like to be able to shoot out to 80 yards at least.
I'd definitely suggest looking into a 3 pin slider. Never going to use anything else again

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Thanks everyone for the feed back! For those who mentioned it- Buck Rub is an archery outfitter in Wisconsin. They have their own gear and the guy I go to is a big fan of their equipment. The guy I go to for bow strings/ tune ups says with his set up the 20 pin is good from 8-28 yards and he has the slider for the longer shots. Not super high end, but like I said it seems very practical.
You can buy an HHA Single pin slider sight off of E-bay for less money. HHA is one of the top sight companies in the world. Located right in Wisconsin Rapids.

·
Registered
20,872 Posts
HHA is a great sight & great custom service.

·
Registered
Mathews Traverse
3,201 Posts
The guy I go to for bow strings/ tune ups says with his set up the 20 pin is good from 8-28 yards
This is just me but...... That statement alone would steer me to find someone else to take advice from.

Ive never heard if that sight but i agree with the above, your better off finding a better sight used if you have a budget.

·
Registered
Mathews Traverse
3,201 Posts
To me: Because you cant have a pin that is good from 8 to 28. So Thats an attitude of "close enough" and doesnt truly care about accuracy. If you are hunting, close enough shouldn't be acceptable. But to each their own, some are ok with close enough but im not. In the end, its up to you and what your goals are👍
I myself wouldnt take advice from a close enough kinda person

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
If you’re planning on shooting out to 80 yds I’d suggest a multi pin slider. You’ll be covered for hunting and 3D or longer distances. If money isn’t a concern go with a spot Hogg fast Eddie and buy a single pin and a multi pin housing and swap them out depending on the situation. I believe a 2 or 3 pin slider is optimum to cover any application. Beware that there is a lot involved in setting up a slider and you will need new sight tapes every time you change arrows, arrow weight, draw length/weight, etc. It’s not just a pin adjustment.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't go for any sight that is not machined aluminum. My preference is a three pin slider with third axis adjustability; though the third axis probably isn't needed for how/where I hunt, just for the 3D courses that I like to play at.

·
Registered
19,033 Posts
I’m sure the 8-28 yard recommended setting is using some compensation, doubt he’s claiming dead on at all that range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26,545 Posts
I've personally shot 1, 2, 3 and 4 pin sights and found that multiple pins had more drawbacks than advantages FOR ME. I really wanted to like a two-pin slider and used a couple different versions, but kept coming back to the same conclusion.....I simply shoot more consistently with a single pin slider. For target or 3D, you are not in a rush to get off a shot and you are either going to range the distance or estimate and set your pins.....so a single pin is no disadvantage. For hunting, you are either going to range an animal and set your pin or things will happen fast and you will adjust your "zero" setting to the situation.

Case in point.....in a two day span a couple years back......I killed a fall turkey and a whitetail buck at virtually the same distance but in quite different circumstances. With the turkey, I saw a flock heading towards my treestand location and had plenty of time to range and set my slider. I shot my bird for dead on 32 yards and nailed it. The next morning I drove to a friend's farm about 110 miles from home and went immediately to a favorite stand. I had a standing cornfield to my right and a dense grassy thicket with a few trees to my left....my MBG Ascent single pin was set at 20 yards. Abruptly a doe popped out of the corn and bound into the thicket. A moment later a buck did the same, but he lost sight of her in the thicket and thus stopped to figure things out. He was a bit over 30 yards as I had pre-ranged the area and didn't have time to make an adjustment to my sight. However I had practiced in gapping in my yard and knew I had to hold a few inches high.....good shot and dead buck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts