Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have shot bows that were in the 240 f.p.s. and less, for years. I now own a 280+ f.p.s. bow. In the past I shot aluminum arrows with 125gr. field tips and all I did was switch to the same weight broadheads and they shot in the same point of impact as did the field tips. NOT any more!

This year I had to switch to mechanical broadheads to get the same results with carbon arrows and higher bow speed. I'm not fond of the idea of mechanicals, but I shot a groundhog this morning with one and he dropped in his tracks. A Game Tracker Silver Tip 1 1/2" cutting dia., shot just behind the shoulder and WOW! These things really open up a hole. The exit wound is 3" wide. :eek:

I guess I'm hooked on them, now. I probably switch to a N.A.P. Shockwave for deer. :cool:

My "THANK YOUs" to everyone on this message board! After reading many posts, replies, searches, etc. I've switched to the "new school" of thought with my archery gear. :rolleyes: I've been at this for over 27 years and an old dog can learn new tricks. :D

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

·
Registered
13 Posts
Congrats on the new setup!

Just for info sake though:

What type & size fletch were you using?

How did you have 'em fletched? (helical/helical with offset/straight/straight with offset)

Which fixed heads were you using?
At the cost of a little speed, a helical with a slight offset on a 4" vane and an indexed b-head (to the middle front of the helical) will straighten out just about any arrow, granted the arrow spine/poundage and rest tune are correct.

I know it's after the fact now that you are hooked on the mech's, but having the option of the two can have its advantages as well.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I agree, mechs are illegal in some states. You should tune your bow to shoot either one. That way you have confidence in your setup, and it will improve your overall hunting experence. JMHO! Be safe.
Shoot Straight
Derbytown :D

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Raghorn,
I don't recall the brand name of the 3" vanes that I'm using, but I fletched them myself, straight with a slight off-set.

As for the broadheads: Thunderhead 100, Wasp 100 (3 blade), Steel Force (4 blade) and Satilite Titan (4 blade). All quality broadheads and I've shot them in the past without any problems.

Derbytown,
As for the confidence in my set up, I have it. In the past I've always been able to switch from field points to broadheads (same weight) without any problems of any kind. I can do the same thing with my current bow set up, BUT I have to use mechanical broadheads to accomplish the same thing. :)

This isn't a problem for me, as I will use a quality mechanical broadhead for deer and use the less expensive ones for groundhogs, coyotes, etc. ;)

I have always used cut-on-contact broadheads (a personal choice) and they've never let me down. However, things change, technology advances and if we want to be part of it we have to change with it.

Nothing wrong with using older technology or traditional equipment. After all, archery is full of personal choices and that's what makes it so great! :cool:

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

·
Registered
628 Posts
Bowhunter.... you have the funniest trailer I have seen in a long time! Very creative and VERY true!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Bowhunter,
I shoot at 300ft/sec with 4 blade Muzzy's and they hit the same hole as the field points. I use 4" 1*helical fletching on CX400's. The dealer told me that I would have to shoot mechanical heads so I bought them and even though they are quality heads and fly great, they fly no better than the Muzzy's out to 60 yards. Don't be fooled into thinking that your bow is in absolute tune until you shoot fixed broadheads with your fieldpoints. There are some setups that will never shoot broadheads and fieldpoints together. As long as you have proper arrow flight, what difference does it make whether or not you group your broadheads with your fieldpoints?

I am really glad that I had the Muzzy's on last Monday when I put it through two ribs and a shoulder blade on a five point bull. I don't know what that Rocket Steelhead would have done but I am not convinced that it would have lasted going through 3 different bones like the muzzy did. The best part is, that same Muzzy was shot into a tree and pulled out the day before after missing a smaller bull. Nope, I didn't sharpen it or change blades, didn't need to. Should have seen the blood trail from that Muzzy, looked like that poor bull exploded.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
My guess would be your arrow choice might be slightly weak. I shoot a Bowtech VFT at 67#, 290 FPS. I bare shaft tune to 40 yards, and they impact with my fletched shafts.

I can screw any broadhead on this setup (fixed blade or mechanical) and they impact with my field points. So I would guess something is slightly out of tune, or the shafts are a little weak, coupled with a lack of "steering" (small vanes probably wouldn't matter as much if the shaft was a little stiffer, or whatever is out of tune was in).

By the way, I shoot 4" feathers helical. But like I said, I can take the feathers right off and the arrows will impact with my field points out to 40 yards (haven't shot any further than that with them).

Give us more detail on the setup (arrow size and length, point weight, bow poundage etc), and maybe we can get you fixed up.

BTW, even though my fixed blades impact with my field points, I'm going to shoot 2-3/4" cutting diameter Vortex Pro's this year. I want an Axe wound!

Bo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts