Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is not that important but every little bit helps with the Buckleme Lemke calulator http://bucklemke.com/ke/ke.php w/ 15gr on my string it says my SB should be shooting 280+. All I have on the string is, loop, knock, serving and peep, my chronograpgh says its shooting 262-264. I don't know maybe my chrono is off maybe that chrono needs to be calibrated. I don't know according to that calculator to get my bow shooting that slow my bow has to have 55gr on the string and I don't think there was nearly that much. It is in tune

I don't want any SHxx about you should be shooting this bow or that bow. If your not going to answer with relevance please don't respond.

Thank You,
Ray:darkbeer:

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
not to mention

your about to get the .....SPEED OVER ACCURACY......debate going...sorry i cant help you other than the light affects it alot ...good luck

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
stackin pins said:
your about to get the .....SPEED OVER ACCURACY......debate going...sorry i cant help you other than the light affects it alot ...good luck
I'm not asking how to make my bow faster I was just making a point and was wondering why theres such a difference, 20 fps is pretty considerable. I'm plenty accurate with it so thats not an issue

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Two things. Not all of those calculators are acurate. The other is that at your draw length, switchbacks are real slow. They do not perform well at short draw lengths as far as speed is concerned.

·
Registered
164 Posts
With my Switchback XT, the calculator says I should be getting 302. However, I'm only getting around 285-290 out of it in reality. My draw is 30" shooting a 350 grn arrow at a 66 pound draw weight. Switchbacks just don't perform speed wise like they are advertised. That said, I'm not complaining! :darkbeer:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
hoyt2k6 said:
With my Switchback XT, the calculator says I should be getting 302. However, I'm only getting around 285-290 out of it in reality. My draw is 30" shooting a 350 grn arrow at a 66 pound draw weight. Switchbacks just don't perform speed wise like they are advertised. That said, I'm not complaining! :darkbeer:

Alright I feel better now. I'm not complaning at all I was just curious as to why my numbers are so far off. My Switchback may not perform speed wise but the bow definately shoots better than I probably will ever be capable of, so nonetheless I'm not disappointed at all. :)
On a side note its to see other people who are honest about their speed, so many people on these boards have some outrageous numbers.

·
Registered
307 Posts
weight on string

you guys would be suprised at the actuall weight on youre strings,,,, 15 gr is not nearly enough ,,,, a standard peep is about 10 a loop is like 8 and nocks are like 6 and it all adds up fast......cbryant

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
That calculator deals with mathematics and physics under optimal conditions...Their are a lot of factors that will affect the speed you get out of any given setup...Such as how smoothly your release lets go of the string, how tightly the arrow is held to the string by the nock, wind resistance created by add-ons to the string, timing of the cam, quality of string and number of twist in that string...

Personally I think 260-265 fps with a 26.5" draw length on any bow is pretty darn good...Even at 5 gpi and 70 lbs...

My experience has been a difference of about 10 fps...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JD45 said:
Raypla, are you sure your total arrow weight is only 345?

I put your information into Archers Advantage and and using 100 grain points and then adding in nocks and adapters, I get a 370 grain total arrow weight, which gives a speed of 263.
Yea I'm sure, I weighed an arrow on my digital scale, I also weighed my peep, 8.3 gr.

I did'nt think the knocks weighed that much. But I'm very happy nonetheless.

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
raypla said:
It is not that important but every little bit helps with the Buckleme Lemke calulator http://bucklemke.com/ke/ke.php w/ 15gr on my string it says my SB should be shooting 280+. All I have on the string is, loop, knock, serving and peep, my chronograpgh says its shooting 262-264. I don't know maybe my chrono is off maybe that chrono needs to be calibrated. I don't know according to that calculator to get my bow shooting that slow my bow has to have 55gr on the string and I don't think there was nearly that much. It is in tune

I don't want any SHxx about you should be shooting this bow or that bow. If your not going to answer with relevance please don't respond.

Thank You,
Ray:darkbeer:
Well the problem is you items weigh alot more than 15 grains. Scale boy to the rescue. As I mentioned before I play with the scale and items at the shop alot.:wink: Your loop almost weighs 15 grains alone. The avg length that you would use to tie a loop weighs 11-12 grains. Your peep weighs (depending on which brand and size) about 10-15 grains. So without going any further you are already about 10 grains heavier than you thought.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Brown Hornet said:
Well the problem is you items weigh alot more than 15 grains. Scale boy to the rescue. As I mentioned before I play with the scale and items at the shop alot.:wink: Your loop almost weighs 15 grains alone. The avg length that you would use to tie a loop weighs 11-12 grains. Your peep weighs (depending on which brand and size) about 10-15 grains. So without going any further you are already about 10 grains heavier than you thought.
How much does a Knock weigh? I already know that my G5 peep weighs 6.3 gr, loop dont know 15 gr.

·
Registered
8,117 Posts
I woulds say that you are closer to 35-40 grains of weight on your string! Light plays a crucial role in the chrono. I just went through all this the past fews days. My chrono was reading 274 fps and I stopped at the pro shop yesterday and shot 285 fps. Last night, I hung a florescent shop light above my chrono and shot 284 consistantly! If you are shooting indoors use a light kit of some sort!

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
raypla said:
How much does a Knock weigh? I already know that my G5 peep weighs 6.3 gr, loop dont know 15 gr.

Like I said the avg loop weighs in the 11-12 grain range. You didn't say that you had a G5 peep. But I don't know how much a nock point weighs. I have never weighed one. We don't use them. We tie nocking points with end serving material. But those little metal buggers are pretty heavy.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
heilman181 said:
I believe that the brass nocks weigh about 7-8 grains each!
Daamn those suckers are hefty! I didn't have the G5 in there when I last shot it through the chrono. The one I had on, no stupid tube, weighed 8.3. So that combined with two knocks, 16 gr, and the loop 15gr. So for all intensive purposes the string had 15+16+9=40 gr which is around 270-273, the link is'nt working right now.

Later on I'll throw in the G5 peep and chrono it. Then next week I plan on bringing my bow to the shop an having my 2 knocks replaced w/serving, at that point I'll be about maxed out. The only thing I could do is switch to a type of no peep, but I don't plan on going anywhere near that till at least next year

·
Registered
11 Posts
raypla said:
It is not that important but every little bit helps with the Buckleme Lemke calulator http://bucklemke.com/ke/ke.php w/ 15gr on my string it says my SB should be shooting 280+. All I have on the string is, loop, knock, serving and peep, my chronograpgh says its shooting 262-264. I don't know maybe my chrono is off maybe that chrono needs to be calibrated. I don't know according to that calculator to get my bow shooting that slow my bow has to have 55gr on the string and I don't think there was nearly that much.

dude, my BRAND NEW SB SHOOTS A WHOPPING ****248 FPS****
and thats at 74# and a 27.5 draw with 400 gr. total arrow weight.
the hoyt guys heckled me out of the place. shhhheshh

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hoosierpete said:
dude, my BRAND NEW SB SHOOTS A WHOPPING ****248 FPS****
and thats at 74# and a 27.5 draw with 400 gr. total arrow weight.
the hoyt guys heckled me out of the place. shhhheshh

Its not the speed that matters its the accuracy and I know my Switchback has that.:) I shot my first robinhood this year after nearly 20 years of archery, lots of ruined knocks and arrows but never the real thing, it was a shame to ruin a beautiful GT Pro but I'll take it.
Their quite as hell too.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
boojo35 said:
Two things. Not all of those calculators are acurate. The other is that at your draw length, switchbacks are real slow. They do not perform well at short draw lengths as far as speed is concerned.

If you dont get real close to advertised on a switchy, its badly out of tune.
Switchbacks are real slow?I knew you had a hardon for Mathews, but thats ******ed.:confused:

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
DUCK29 said:
If you dont get real close to advertised on a switchy, its badly out of tune.
Switchbacks are real slow?I knew you had a hardon for Mathews, but thats ******ed.:confused:
Read this thread and the speeds that these guys are getting. The short draw swithcbacks are slow. My hoyt runs 302 fps at 26.5" and 58 lbs. I have a right to say that bows in the 260's with an inch longer draw and 12 more pound are slow. Bowtech builds bows that will run equal to mine. I think that we have different ideas of what ******ed is. :zip:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts