Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old PSE G force that is a 70# bow. I am older and more broke down now and can't shoot it like I want now. It is just too strong for me and I think it is down to about 63# , but I would like it around 50-55# for me to comfortable.

My question is can I install a little longer string since I need a new one any way? Will that lower my #'age a little. I know it will hear "just buy a newer lower poundage bow" well I would if I could, but I can't so I'm not. LOL

Thanks Larry

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
I would suggest taking it to a pro shop that can get the right strings for you,, with a change in strings and cables you can reduce the poundage more, but the really need to be bought as a set for the best results,, if you don't have a brand in mind I can highly recommend vapor trail,, lots of colors, very fast turn around time and no one makes a better string ,, and there are several really good string makers, just not better

·
Registered
8,837 Posts
it's not quite that simple larry. if you want to reduce peak weight, you need to increase both, string and cable lengths. this results in a longer ATA for the bow lower brace height and less pre-load on the limbs, meaning less draw weight because the limbs aren't bent as much. there are limits, though. when the lengthened rig gets too long, the rig looses all tension and gets sloppy, and the accuracy of the bow will suffer. it's pretty much established that about an inch longer is all most bows will tolerate before they start getting sloppy, from lack of tension in the rig. that much might get you down to just under 60 lbs. , but I doubt you'll be able to get to 50-55, with the rig getting sloppy. all you can do is try a longer rig and see what happens. the cost of finding the right length string and cables is the expensive reason, you'll hear ," just buy a different bow", or "just get lighter limbs". those kind of replies aren't posted for, "no reason". the majority of shooters these days are "texting" on their phones and it's a PIA to type long drawn out suggestions such as this....so the replies are kept short and to the point.
you might be better off looking in the classifieds for a set of 50 or 60 lb. limbs for that G-force. another avenue is,.... if you contact, PSE, they might be able to tell you what limbs from other bows will work on that bow and that will broaden your possibilities of finding a lighter set.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts