Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my bow, the riser came with a string. Does anyone know what type of string Hoyt provides with their recurve bows? It's a white 15-strand string with a dark gray serving.

·
Archery Coach
23,297 Posts
its probably a 16 strand D75 Brownell string

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgive my ignorance, but how much of a difference can string material really make? Is it all just a matter of mass?

·
Registered
20,783 Posts
VG -

Going from B-50 to Fast Flight, most of my target bows gain 6 - 10 fps, and you're right msot of it has to do with the mass of the string. There's also a difference in feel, the B-50 has a tendency to give the bow increased vibration, due to its abilty to stretch on shock. I've found the newer materials to generally be noisier and harder on the bows, for the same reason.

Certainly try as many materials as you can and see what works best for you.

Personally, I've tried a few of the materials currently available, and finally went back to B-50. I use it on every bow I shoot, its safe for my vintage bows, performs quite well on my modern ORs, and frankly, it's a heck of lot cheaper than the fancy stuff.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
VanillaGorilla said:
Forgive my ignorance, but how much of a difference can string material really make? Is it all just a matter of mass?
Mass makes a difference, but elasticity and creep are more important. At least to me.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I'd like to try a different string. Will the Fast Flite and other string material be safe to use with my bow? I have a 25" Hoyt GM Riser with long Hoyt Vector limbs. 70" overall. Any recommendations for a string with this setup? Thanks

·
Archery Coach
23,297 Posts
VanillaGorilla said:
I think I'd like to try a different string. Will the Fast Flite and other string material be safe to use with my bow? I have a 25" Hoyt GM Riser with long Hoyt Vector limbs. 70" overall. Any recommendations for a string with this setup? Thanks

all string material is safe with vectors. No one uses dacron on serious olympic bows-at least not for years.

I like TS-1, the new ANgel stuff is good but not clearly superior to TS-1 (the original TS-1 is hard to get these days due to military use of spectra) 8125, D75 Thin, D97, and TS-1+ (dyneema)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hi there, whilst on this topic, how many "Dyneemas" are there? I bought a spool years ago, it was blue and soft silky and fluffy. I ordered a spool recently and found it stiff white and thick. I used to use 18 strands but found the new spool so thick I would not like to exceed 16 strands. (Interestingly my new covert ballistic vest is made from Dyneema)

·
Registered
233 Posts
The blue "fluffy" material you are refering to I believe is Angel Sensitive. Its the only dyneema material that I can think of thats "soft" because of the fact that its not waxxed.
The other stuff, due to its larger size could be D75, Dynaflight 97, or Fast Flight Plus.

·
Archery Coach
23,297 Posts
BCY 02 is dyneema and copies the low/no wax of the Japanese stuff in an attempt to emulate the speed of the ASB

1 - 14 of 14 Posts