Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the big difference between these bow strings?
1- zebra
2-tiger twist
3-bowman
4-winners choice

i have read zebra is not as good as others....what advantage will i gain with a better bowstring?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I feel like i am getting some inconsistences with my zebra string in tempature changes......cool to hot.....it effects my arrow impact...my arrow hits high with a cool bow and low as the bow is exposed to the afternoon sun during practice.

·
Registered
628 Posts
You have them in the wrong order from a quality perspective... Winners Choice, from everything I have read on the general archery forum and from a 3 time indoor champion, is the best and most expensive.

Shortly after I bought my Zebra String, I realized from this forum that made a big mistake. But it is on my bow so it is there to stay until I get frustrated...... Net net, I have shot not more than 100 arrows through this new string and I've found that the serving is seperating (splitting appart) where my Truball Caliper release attaches to the string under the arrow. I literally can take my thumb nail and move the serving up and down in that area of the serving. This could be an indication of stretch in the string after the first few shots or just a crappy string.... not sure. And my peep doesn't come back to my eye correctly everytime like advertised. So the add that it doesn't twist because it is twisted isn't working for me. If someone on hear thinks I have something hokey going on, let me know. I'll try whatever the manufacturer thinks will solve the problem. In my 10 year history of hunting, I've never had a string/serving problem like this with any other string... new or heavily used!

I am sure that I'll buy a winners choice next time so I don't have to worry about stretch and crappy serving, etc.... One other thing... the serving wasn't long enough/high enough to attach my kisser button to the string. I had to add serving for that... seems like that shouldn't have been needed.

My 2 cents...
Siefrj

·
Archery Coach
23,290 Posts
You would think that no one could have shot decent scores before those overpriced jobs came along. We had a guy have us put WC on his bow-115 dollars or so for a string and cable.

YOu never would have thought that Darrell Pace could have shot a 1341 in 79 or Terry Ragsdale shooting perfect Vegas and field rounds without those things?

actually many pro shops make really good strings for alot less money. True, you might actually have to shoot your bow a day or two before things settle down. Sure, people who are really good shooters are going to use stuff they get paid to use (or given for free) as long as the product doesn't hurt their scores. Certainly WC et al are well made strings but worth the money? hard to say. Better than other stuff-still hard to say.

If I thought a hundred dollar string would gain me points, I might try it, I sure have spent plenty on arrows, etc. I still shoot the stuff I tie myself and for a recurve (I realize most of the big &$$$$ strings aren't for recurves) I think stuff I tie myself is better since I can play around with it

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Jim, If you actually have a "PRO", that can make them as good for less at your pro shop, then you are lucky!:) No such story here though.:( You don't have to pay WC prices for a good one though, that I do agree with.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
i sent you a pm please let me know what you think
rob k

·
Registered
852 Posts
I agree with Jim C on this one - although I know that WC strings are VERY good quality, I think others are just as good for less money... Making a bowstring isn't rocket science - all it takes is the proper equipment, good materials, knowledge on how to do it, and attention to detail.... I've been making my own, and some for a few friends, for a few years now - I average 300 to 400 arrows per week, all year, and have had no problems with any of my strings... I shoot a single cam, so my strings are long(94" and up) - yet, being built from 450+ they've been EXTREMELY stable - like a rock, in fact, after the 1st 100 shoots or so...

The Zebra Twist strings are junk, IMO - they're made of fastflite, which is an outdated material... 10 years ago, it was "the stuff", but has since been passed by much better fibers.... The Tiger Twist strings aren't bad, though... I've been hearing nothing but good things about Berry strings...

- georgestrings

·
Archery Coach
23,290 Posts
George-I agree as to the use of fastflite for compounds. IT stretches too much and the similar dyneema is better. However, for recurves, many people still use it because the creep can easily be fixed with a twist or too when you string the bow and check the brace. It lasts longer then just about anything. Most recurves have gone to Dyneema, a few use ultracam or 450 types stuff.

The stuff I believe is totally obsolete is S4 since it isn't as durable as the dyneema vectran blends in my experience

1 - 10 of 10 Posts