Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I would like to say that I have appreciated all of the advice people have given me. I really want to learn and be independent, but some times I get my self into trouble I have a great friend who helps me a lot he has helped me get up and going. I have watched him use a lighter to clean up the D loop and string, well I had some frays so I ran a lighter quick over them and one started on fire I blew it out quick but I definitely have a thinner spot in my string now. I have waxed it, but I am Leary to shoot it now.
I guess my question is what is a string worth I have spent what the wife has allowed to but the bow (2004 Hoyt ultra sport draw 27.5 to 30 60 to 70LBS) we have a new baby on the way and she has me on a tight leash. Just trying to get an Idea on what to expect and what be and I should look for.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Contact Bucknasty he can hook you up for around 50 bucks for string and cable setup and they are 10 times better than the stock string! Best price I have seen on a high quality setup.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that is good to know. it is just the string. so I will try and see about getting one right away were are in the first week of our season.

·
Registered
10,982 Posts
Just so you know, never use the lighter on your string. Frays should be handled with string wax. Obviously if they get numerous/bad enough that is a good time to replace your string anyway. Save the lighter for the serving ends.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I made that mistake once myself...I was burning serving ends but I got a little too close. I ended up replacing my string too.

·
Registered
9,559 Posts
Motha *******!

YellowHawkk said:
I made that mistake once myself...I was burning serving ends but I got a little too close. I ended up replacing my string too.
Story of my life. I will spending hours making a new string, it will lokk perfect decide to just hit the peep serving with a lighter, and wouldn't you know it. With every mess up, I learn new tips, that's how I get by.

Ben

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all

Thanks everyone I am having one made today and will be flinging arrows tonight.

Trev

·
(aka lug nut)
48,296 Posts
Despain said:
Well I would like to say that I have appreciated all of the advice people have given me. I really want to learn and be independent, but some times I get my self into trouble I have a great friend who helps me a lot he has helped me get up and going. I have watched him use a lighter to clean up the D loop and string, well I had some frays so I ran a lighter quick over them and one started on fire I blew it out quick but I definitely have a thinner spot in my string now. I have waxed it, but I am Leary to shoot it now.
I guess my question is what is a string worth I have spent what the wife has allowed to but the bow (2004 Hoyt ultra sport draw 27.5 to 30 60 to 70LBS) we have a new baby on the way and she has me on a tight leash. Just trying to get an Idea on what to expect and what be and I should look for.
Try a low wattage soldering iron next time.

·
Real helos, have 2 rotors
10,241 Posts
I coat my string with wax and use a hair dryer to melt it into the string.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
Don't forget to post us a picture of a big Alberta buck when you get it.:wink:

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
beenfarr said:
Story of my life. I will spending hours making a new string, it will lokk perfect decide to just hit the peep serving with a lighter, and wouldn't you know it. With every mess up, I learn new tips, that's how I get by.

Ben

i also use a lighter to melt the end servings and the peep tying serving also, but before using it, i wrap serving thread on any part of the string that may get in contact with the flame. i have neverhad a problem doing it this way.

good luck!!

·
Premium Member
5,745 Posts
Despain said:
cool I will do that
Don't.......... or you just may be learning another costly lesson :wink:

Apply wax with only your fingers or a small piece of leather to burnish it into the string. Any heat source, hairdryer included, can cause damage to the fibres.

·
im not NOT licking toads.
7,705 Posts
you might want to look into H&M BOWSTRINGS mikes strings are amazing , and at $23 for a string in any colors and any color end serving you cant go wrong

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
nuts&bolts said:
Try a low wattage soldering iron next time.

NO. Don't do this either. Just wax your string.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks for all the advice I have learned my lesson and will no longer be putting anything ohter than Wax on my string. This year will be my first bow hunt I am excited and have some of the best people I know helping me out.

Thanks to all and I am glat I am now a part of AT it is a great place with lots of helpful people I cannot wait until I can to pass on some knowledge to help others.

Trevor

·
Real helos, have 2 rotors
10,241 Posts
A hair dryer will not damage your string. Rubbing wax into your string with your fingers will cause the little "hairs" to ball up as well as create new ones.

Any dirt that is on the string will act as an abrasive and will be forced into the fibers.

If you have a light colored string it will soon appear dingy and dull if you rub the wax into the string.

If you apply the wax heavily and use a hair dryer it will evenly coat the string and protect it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts