Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been shooting my bow and now the peep sight and nock loop are starting to rotate towards the inside of my bow, does anyone know why it would be doing this? Is it something I should worry about?

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
Agree somewhat. If it's fairly new then it will creep and cause this rotation. Twisting the string up can help, but depending on what bow company I'd suggest getting rid of the factory string and cable altogether. Some just never quit creeping because they are not constructed properly. They do a good job of holding all the pieces together for shipment, but that's about all they're good for.

What happens is that when wound the strands don't all have the same tension on them, nor are they twisted enough. In other words some of the strands are longer than others. So what happenes over time is that the strands that are shortest elongate (creep) until all the strands are doing equal work. At this point the whole string may creep to a degree and then stabilize. During this time the string may become an inch or more longer.

This causes the draw length to get longer. The weight goes up on the bow. The cam (cams) go out of time (over rotated) and the bow gets noisier. It also goes out of tune in accordance with the arrow. In other words it just gets plain ugly and you don't know why.

A good set of aftermarket strings made by custom string makers (Bucknasty is good and reasonable)are prestretched when they are made. The they are pre-twisted and served under tension. The result is a string and cable that may creep about 1/8" over as little as 20 shots or as many as 100 shots and then stabilize.

Once you break it in then you install your loop and peep facing straight back. Then you tune your bow. Chances are very good that the tune won't change till it's nearly time to replace the whole set again. Depending on how much you shoot this may mean 1 year or more. You can rest assued that if your shooting changes day to day then it's you and not the bow.

Do a search for aftermarket strings and see waht you come up with. Several guys on here make them and they don't cost any more than the junk strings hanging on the wall at the proshop.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts