Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, complete novice to archery here. So, I just bought a 56" wooden recurve bow at a thrift shop that didn't come with a string, has no markings indicating what string is needed or what the draw weight it is, and now need to know what (actual) length of string to get for it. I have a 50", 53", 55", and a 56" actual length bow string available on my budget. Would all of these lengths be a poor choice, or, if not, which would be best to get?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
17,656 Posts
53" should work, should end up with about 7" brace height.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So that was a 53" actual bow string length, not an AMO length, correct? Would hate to have to return the string from getting the wrong one.

·
Registered
22,546 Posts
It depends on what brace height your particular bow shoots the best. I shot recurves for 30 years and each one had a slight (or more) different "sweet spot" where the bow shot the best. Many were around 8" brace, as measured from the deepest part of the grip to the string with a yardstick or T-square. If you buy the 53" and the bow sounds loud or feels harsh on hand shock, begin to add some twists to the string and pay attention to the effects. You can add quite a few twists, but it should not being to coil up when unstrung....indicating too many twists. Once you figure it out, you can save your money and have a correct length string built for you by a traditional maker. Try the Traditional forum here on AT or the Leatherwall of the Bowsite.

PS.....I trust you have a tip-to-tip bow stringer to install the string?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts