Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

I've been doing quite a bit of reading and looking up what everyone recommends but it seems a lot of the recommendations are high-end merchandise.

My history: I've been shooting a bow since I was a youngin' started with one of those yellow walmart ones with like 2lbs of draw weight :p

I graduated later on to something a little quicker then after that my next bow was a Darton Compound bow in 45lb draw.

I later started shooting my dad's PSE Thunder Lite(? I think that's the name ?) and it has a 60-65 lb draw (I forget) and a max draw of 70lbs. The bow is quite old and has never been restrung but still shoots great.

I just recently shot a recurve bow, an old hardwood recurve that's pushing 30+ years old... beautiful bow but string notches are worn so the string comes off (ouch!).

I love the traditional style of the recurve bow and was wondering what recommendations that people have for someone who has never really owned a recurve bow before.

I've looked into Hoyt bows I particularly like the gamemaster... slick looking but I also like the Matrix but it's hard to find 'viable' prices on the internet because websites have so much fluff these days.

And I have not necessarily disbanded the thought of owning another compound, but bows are personal and my dad's PSE is not going to always cut it for me since it was built for him and not myself, and being a young person in the computer technologies field I like new technology and am willing to try things.

My budget: $500-$600

My question: What do you suggest for a recurve bow? And what do you suggest for a compound bow? The less expensive the better, I enjoyed the fact about the recurve that in the long run maintenance should be less (minus any foreseeable disasters).

Thanks again, and I know you guys probably see these threads all the time, but I just wanted some input from the greater populus instead of my old man's humble opinion (usually a grunt and a: "You don't need a new bow, you can use mine" :wink: )

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I generally am a smooth draw type of person, cause I generally take aim while drawing so I can steady myself while drying by going slower. Sometimes I do draw fast but not more than I am a midrange to slow drawer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I apologize too! haha, Well I tried a Fred Bear bow at Dick's (just looking around there) and it was wierd hitting the 'bump' in the cam where it just lets off after the peak but I can deal with it. The PSE bow I have now is a dual cam, and it's a consistent draw no hill to overcome.

So as far as that goes it doesn't matter to much to me, I am all for more speed but while keeping my current draw weight, but bows have come a long way and I'm sure a similar bow to mine today will shoot faster than the one I currently have.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks I'll look into them both, I need to go to the shop and pick up a few catalogs to get some reading material.

I don't have the $$ right now for anything but maybe I'll just save up for something better in the $700 range. I had my eye on a Browning Illusion, it looks beautiful but that's just my opinion... :smile:

·
Registered
202 Posts
If you want a recurve bow I suggest a Bob Lee bow. He builds smooth pulling bow and has for over 35 years.

If you want a smooth but fast compound bow I suggest a BowTech with the equalizer binary cams. They build up slow to peek and have adjustable holding weight. Way tomany of todays bows only hold around 15 pounds. That will let you torque the bow to easy and open up your groups.

Many good bows to pick from that are good. This is just my pick with 40 years in this game from a bowhunter to a top Pro years ago.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's why I came here, for good advice! ;-)

I'm not too concerned about let off I'm a bigger build at 6' 1" holding a moderate 220-230lbs, my muscles are still with me from bow shooting before but to be honest I shook a bit when shooting that older recurve... it had a heavy weight but I could still hold it easily.

The compound my dad has now is @ a 65% let off which is nice but the recurve feels more natural... although I did like the looks of the compound bows... I will be sure to look into those bows and any more advice is greatly appreciated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.