Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, new here. i have been shooting since early 90s. i was wondering, what bow you guys would suggest to buy? sorry no hoyts , don't like the looks or feel

i have 2 1990s dartons, i am looking for a new parallel limb bow

·
Registered
54,266 Posts
THE ONE THAT WORKS FOR YOU. Sorry but I find these posts really annoying and useless. No one can tell you what bow to shoot/buy----we are not you, we have no clue of your likes and dislikes, we have no clue what features your looking for, we can not feel what you feel in a bow.
Bottom line go shoot as many bows as you can get your hands on and see what fits YOUR needs alone. There really isn't a bad bow on the market but not one bow that will fit everyones needs. Great part about this sport------choices and opinions.:beer::wink:
I've been shooting bows for well over 30 years. My bow is 3 years old---can you tell me which bow I should buy???????? If you can your doing much better than me as I want a new bow and have shoot just about everything out there----not one of them has talked to me yet and still have no clue which one I will buy----but one time or another I will pick up that one bow that is going to talk to me and say buy me. IMHO it is the only way to decide. LOL

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
THE ONE THAT WORKS FOR YOU. Sorry but I find these posts really annoying and useless. No one can tell you what bow to shoot/buy----we are not you, we have no clue of your likes and dislikes, we have no clue what features your looking for, we can not feel what you feel in a bow.
Bottom line go shoot as many bows as you can get your hands on and see what fits YOUR needs alone. There really isn't a bad bow on the market but not one bow that will fit everyones needs. Great part about this sport------choices and opinions.:beer::wink:

Real nice way to make a new member feel welcome. :thumbs_do

No one forced you to post on the thread, if you don't like it, maybe instead of being a jackass you could just keep your pie hole shut.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Welcome friend!

You will find here that opinions aren't worth a lot. Everyone thinks their brand is best, and you're an idiot if you don't buy what they tell you.
The fact is, there aren't too many truly junk bows out there these days, and it will mostly come down to what appeals to you.

As far as big name bows go Mathews, Hoyt, Bowtech, PSE, all offer great line ups, but there are a lot of really good bows that are not so well known as well.

Try to shoot as many different bows as you can (maybe multiple times) and when you find it, you will know.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Most bows are going to do what you need to get done. Price is one factor, single or dual cam another, dual is smoother=usually. Some care about their axle to axle length. The only reason I know that to be a concern is shooting fingers or in a tight blind. Just remember it is not the bow it is the shooter that controls the accuracy in a shot. As far as speed, some will buy a ____or a _____ or____, yet these bows are not fast, compared to some that are not as popular. Brace is something that some will say is important for the new shooter. The shorter the brace the longer the arrow stays on the string, also there is a more chance of wrist slap, so don't ever buy one less than 6". Another thing, don't get caught up in the, "my friend shoots.....", or "this is what was recommended to me" Shoot a lot of bows, pick the one you like. I shot a Parker last year and put a lot of guys to shame on the 3D course, this year the new speed bow from Darton. I like to shoot and shoot what I like, do the same!!! Have fun!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Without knowing anything about you or whether you are looking for a hunting bow or target bow I would say this.

Axle to Axle at least 35 inches.
Brace Height give yourself at least 7 inches.

I hunt with a bow that has an axle to axle of 37.50 and a brace height of 8 inches. I get 296 out of it for 3D and around 285 for hunting.

·
Premium Member
8,436 Posts
Everyone thinks their brand is best, and you're an idiot if you don't buy what they tell you.
Actually I don't think that's entirely true either.

Depending on what's available in a shop near you, you probably need to handle a couple, then look in your wallet. As you seem to be able to get the most out of a bow, buy a really good one. Darton, by the way, still makes a really good product, so you might want to start there.

Other than that, anyone not shooting a Hoyt, well, :rolleyes:

Didn't want to let Hoosier down.

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
some i would suggest to look at, the alien x,, very fast, compact accurate quiet and shock free and no so much money as some others plus martin service!

elite makes a very good bow very smooth

quest are also superb bows and ultra smooth and just plain fun to shoot

alpine, often overlooked but very good bows

there are others, these i have shot and know about

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
T Sorry but I find these posts really annoying and useless. No one can tell you what bow to shoot/buy----we are not you, we have no clue of your likes and dislikes, we have no clue what features your looking for, we can not feel what you feel in a bow.
I've been shooting bows for well over 30 years. My bow is 3 years old---can you tell me which bow I should buy???????? If you can your doing much better than me as I want a new bow and have shoot just about everything out there----not one of them has talked to me yet and still have no clue which one I will buy----but one time or another I will pick up that one bow that is going to talk to me and say buy me. IMHO it is the only way to decide. LOL
and who's opinion did you get went you got your bow, or did you just buy one

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think it depends on what you are planning on doing with your bow. If you pull the bow out of the closet 3 weeks before the season you can get by with any bow out there, but if you're going shoot year round you'll want to spend more time and probably more money getting something you'll be happy with.
You do get what you pay for most of the time.

another HOYT shooter
ALPHAMAX 32

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Most of the replies you get will be made in good faith and almost all will be the brand they happen to shoot. We all like to think we know the best bow. Now you already trust and enjoy your Dartons so why not try the new Darton 3800? Its the new parallel limb bow getting great reviews. :thumbs_up

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
bows

the truth of the matter is that just about everyone today builds a great bow. i would shoot just as many different brands as possible. i for 1 like hoyt due to its bullet proof limbs-however dont count martin out. they make a great product with service second to none. they have a new 4 layer limb on some of their bows and the shooting qualities are just as good as any.the rytera line(produced by martin) are very popular right now. give all the brands a fair try.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
both are loud & i have tuned & tightened everything

no dealers in st louis area

my dad was sponsored 3d shooter for darton in the early 90s
The not having a dealer in your area is a good reason but dont compare the hand shock and noise of 1990s bows to the current ones.:wink: All the major manufacturers have made great advances.:darkbeer:

·
Registered
54,266 Posts
and who's opinion did you get went you got your bow, or did you just buy one
My own. I'm not loyal to any brand. I shoot what appeals to me and feels the best to me alone. Working in a pro shop I'm exposed to most bows on the market and judge from my perspective what I will shoot, I don't depend on others opinions----after all I'm the one that's going to shoot it.:wink::beer:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.