Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have about 6 months into the trad game and now I’m looking into a one piece recurve. Right now I shoot a Hoyt buffalo at 50#. Is be looking for the same or a little more weight. I want something lighter in weight and quieter without loosing speed. There are quite a few brand out there but which ones should I be looking at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Hi, I have about 6 months into the trad game and now I’m looking into a one piece recurve. Right now I shoot a Hoyt buffalo at 50#. Is be looking for the same or a little more weight. I want something lighter in weight and quieter without loosing speed. There are quite a few brand out there but which ones should I be looking at.

Depending on budget, going tp a lighter DW without losing speed is one of the benefits of a super recurve. Border, morrison and perhaps a few others fall in that category. But none are budget bows.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
This brief "scratch the surface to begin your research" list for one-piece recurve bows from off the top of my head:

Black Widow Bows
Bear Archery
Fox Archery
RER Bows

Visit their websites, study their offerings, take notes, make no decisions yet, research more recommendations, take your time ... and let the games begin!

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Depending on budget, going tp a lighter DW without losing speed is one of the benefits of a super recurve. Border, morrison and perhaps a few others fall in that category. But none are budget bows.
I guess my writing was a little confusing. I want to stay at the same or increase the DW but want a lighter mass weight bow.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This brief "scratch the surface to begin your research" list for one-piece recurve bows from off the top of my head:

Black Widow Bows
Bear Archery
Fox Archery
RER Bows

Visit their websites, study their offerings, take notes, make no decisions yet, research more recommendations, take your time ... and let the games begin!
Great advice and will follow.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
After 6 months in what you want and what you need are two different things. In my opinion you need a 30 pound bow so you can learn your current bow.

Bowmania

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I agree, and will also ad that going to a light weight bow also presents more challenges for form and control. Accuracy is tougher to achieve also. Mark

·
JB WELD PRO STAFFER
13,079 Posts

Black Widow Bows
Bear Archery
Fox Archery
RER Bows

See if you can find a bear dealer with a kodiak mag. Sucker is bad and does not look like a mass produced bow. Theres a reason bear still makes their trad line and its due to all the folks that swear by them. I wouldnt trade my montana for anything.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After 6 months in what you want and what you need are two different things. In my opinion you need a 30 pound bow so you can learn your current bow.

Bowmania
I started at about 30 and worked my way up over the 6 months. I shot target compound with very low let off. And honestly I’m a pretty strong fella. Lol
I’m very comfortable and can execute back tension proper with that weight. I practiced with a clicker.

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,250 Posts
Are you shooting target or hunting? If target I would stick with the weight you have and work on increasing command. I will leave hunting recommendations to the hunters.

Are you looking for a production bow that you can get right away, or a custom bow that could take from 12 weeks to a year or more to get (if they do not have an appropriate bow in stock)?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I’m a huge bear guy good one piece to start with good price is super grizzly I had a regular grizzly and shot very well but I hear the super grizzly is way better if not bear my second choice would be Martin archery 3rd would be black widow keep in mind the reason I say Balck widow 3rd is the price they are works of art and great shooters but hefty cost the cost efficient in my opinion bear and Martin

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’ve had a few bear bows in the past and bear does have a place in my heart. I switched to Hoyt years ago tho. All compounds. I may be looking for something that doesn’t exist. Lol. I’m in no hurry, I love my buffalo and really what I want is a all wood version of it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hoyts a great company too! In fact I almost broke down a few months ago and got a game master 2 they have great reviews and I’ve always liked the riser design

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
Get a wood ILF riser and limbs to make the same total length. That sounds like what you are after.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts