Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my bow to a relatively new bow shop in my town and had some issues with the apprentice. There is an experienced tech at this shop but he wasn’t there that day but his apprentice said she could do a quick string swap for me no problem.

When I walked in to get my bow she made a comment about he left draw Board having trouble pulling back my 70lb Hoyt RX4. She said her winch was screaming to get it drawn back. That made me nervous

and then When she handed me the bow, I couldn’t draw the bow at all, when I looked I realized she had put the bottom cable on in the wrong direction, Causing the serving to come undone as it was riding directly on the post instead of in its intended track,

The peep serving came undone above and below the peep when I took the first shot causing the peep to slide. I repositioned and tied it back in.

The cable was cut where my drop away rest was tied in with serving just below where the serving was cut. The picture only shows a few strands as I didn’t want to start pulling them all out.

The string maker is very reputable and sent me a new cable as the Serving came undone, but I didn’t want to send him another message about the cut cable as I don’t believe that’s on him or me as the string and cable package was only opened and installed by bow tech, but It needs to be replaced some how

I’m really concerned about damage done to the limbs and/or cams, cables and strings especially using the draw board to pull it back.

the picture shows the worn serving with the cable in the correct place, originally they hd it running over the post and around.
The bow seems to shoot ok but I’m nervous there had been some damage done to more than just the strings

any help is greatly appreciated

Wheel Tire Bicycle Bicycle tire Bicycle frame

Automotive tire Bag Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Grass

Attachments

·
(aka lug nut)
54,809 Posts
When I walked in to get my bow she made a comment about he left draw Board having trouble pulling back my 70lb Hoyt RX4. She said her winch was screaming to get it drawn back. That made me nervous

View attachment 7677500
View attachment 7677501
1) smells like MOTORIZED draw board....so the winch was motorized.

2) SCREAMING winch means the TECH should have RELEASED the button, should have IMMEDIATELY stopped energizing the motorized winch. Smells like the "tech" kept TRYING to pull the bow with the BACKWARDS cable to full draw.

3) depending if the motorized winch had a limit switch or not...SCREAMING winch implies the winch was slipping...inspect VERY VERY carefully for damage in the limbs, damage in the riser, even check for bent axles.

Full tear down, and inspect as if dry fired.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Shop tech loaded cable backwards, so the limbs have been over-loaded.
Have a PROPER tech fully dis-assemble the bow and look for stress cracks in the riser
and look for stress cracks in the limbs.
Explain the situation to Hoyt, send it back to them and have them evaluate the bow. The shop pays for this and any required parts that need replacing.
Talking with Hoyt techs it seems the warranty is voided because the bow was misused. Not sure if anyone has had an experience like this, I have shot the bow a handful of times since with no issues but am definitely concerned something may be happening under the surface I can’t see or notice. I ran a cotton ball over the entire bow multiple times and there is no obvious cracks or anything but that doesn’t mean something isn’t right

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1) smells like MOTORIZED draw board....so the winch was motorized.

2) SCREAMING winch means the TECH should have RELEASED the button, should have IMMEDIATELY stopped energizing the motorized winch. Smells like the "tech" kept TRYING to pull the bow with the BACKWARDS cable to full draw.

3) depending if the motorized winch had a limit switch or not...SCREAMING winch implies the winch was slipping...inspect VERY VERY carefully for damage in the limbs, damage in the riser, even check for bent axles.

Full tear down, and inspect as if dry fired.
It’s a crank winch and she said it was clicking loudly as if struggling to pull it. Haven’t ever had anything like that before, not even sure how it would pull the with cable set wrong

·
Registered
825 Posts
Talking with Hoyt techs it seems the warranty is voided because the bow was misused. Not sure if anyone has had an experience like this, I have shot the bow a handful of times since with no issues but am definitely concerned something may be happening under the surface I can’t see or notice. I ran a cotton ball over the entire bow multiple times and there is no obvious cracks or anything but that doesn’t mean something isn’t right
The bow wasn’t misused, it was abused by a clueless tech. If between the Hoyt and the shop they don’t stand behind it and make it right, screw both.

·
Registered
10,269 Posts
New or used, warranty or not, it's the shop's responsibility to make it right, even if it means sending it to the manufacturer for inspection/repair. Won't thrash the apprentice tech, many of us have done "the silly," but it should, in a calm manner, be brought to the shop owner's attention.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
New or used, warranty or not, it's the shop's responsibility to make it right, even if it means sending it to the manufacturer for inspection/repair. Won't thrash the apprentice tech, many of us have done "the silly," but it should, in a calm manner, be brought to the shop owner's attention.
100% I’m fine letting an apprentice work on the bow, they need reps too. My concern is I have about 2 weeks before a back country hunt and am being told I may need a new bow, can possibly get it inspected next week but by they time I order a new one and get it dialed in I’m really cutting it close if at all possible

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yikes. Talk about a bad experience. I hope it works out for you and the shop owner makes it right.
a few years ago I made the investment in my own press, draw board, and vise. Honestly, I’d recommend investing in your own equipment over upgrading your bow in most circumstances. Too many “techs” are uninformed or under qualified and I haven’t found one yet that cares more about my bow’s performance/tune than myself.

·
Registered
Elite Gt500, Elite Envy ×2, Elite Synx, Elite GTO
4,490 Posts
Shop tech loaded cable backwards, so the limbs have been over-loaded.
Have a PROPER tech fully dis-assemble the bow and look for stress cracks in the riser
and look for stress cracks in the limbs.
If there's cracks in his riser and limbs the shop owes him a new bow not just strings and cables. OP I hope you are able to get this taken care of without too much hassle.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Just curious, did you point out to her what she had done, what was her reaction, did she acknowledge her mistake, is the shop owner aware of the situation, this sucks, hope it doesn't turn into a he said she said.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
talk to the owner of that bow shop tell him what happened, then tell him in a good way he needs to make this right for you, if he starts comming up with excuses then you can turn into a ***, she should tell the shop owner it was her fault

1 - 20 of 78 Posts