Archery Talk Forum banner
  • Enter in this new Contest Sponsored by Walmart for your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had some recent bow issues with string stretch, timing issues and overall disappointed with my local shop. So i've decided to get most of everything I need (currently no draw board). My shop had my D loop tied fairly low and had me adjust my rest only to get decent bare shaft flight. I'll admit, it worked but my arrow was actually pointing up quite a bit. I really wasn't getting anywhere with my shop and limited time to get there with work and kids made it tough to just spend several hours. So.... I'm starting from scratch. Bow is timed, New D loop (first ever so forgive me) but arrow is pretty much through the center of the Berger hole, arrow is level.

Shots through paper with Bare Shaft, the two in the center then a fletched arrow on left side

Stepped back to 20 yds and shot 1 fletched and 1 bare shaft

Where should I go from here? Raising rest or lowering nock point I don't think will fix this.
Should I be adjusting the bottom yokes first? Bowtech insanity CPX

·
Registered
206 Posts
Make sure the cams are in time (need a draw board). Then check to make sure the nocking point is still level through the middle of the berger hole. If not, re-tie it. Some bows like it a little (1/32") high, but you shouldn't be muck out of level, then shoot through paper again and make small adjustments to the rest from there. Set-up as it is (bare shaft low/high paper tear), you need to raise the rest or lower the nocking point, but not until you make sure the cams are in synch.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Make sure the cams are in time (need a draw board). Then check to make sure the nocking point is still level through the middle of the berger hole. If not, re-tie it. Some bows like it a little (1/32") high, but you shouldn't be muck out of level, then shoot through paper again and make small adjustments to the rest from there. Set-up as it is (bare shaft low/high paper tear), you need to raise the rest or lower the nocking point, but not until you make sure the cams are in synch.
Cams are timed, I had it checked one last time last week before everything was delivered over the weekend. I did verify it was on.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I would try lowering the rest a bit at a time and see if that helps, the nocking point should be centered between the axels so if thats right the rest should clear the tear up. Also with your top string level make sure the sight level is jiving. Good luck!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'd raise my arrow rest if it was me
View attachment 7407527
That's basically how it was before when it was "tuned" however, my D loop was much lower, so low that I couldn't even drop my rest down enough to even come close to level and still have my rest completely drop away. So I raised everything up so it's level through the berger hole but feel I will still have a very point high arrow at rest to get rid of the tear

·
Registered
282 Posts
Cam sync/timing, nocking point height, or rest height....those are your levers for adjusting vertical nock travel. If you're confident that the cam sync/timing is on, lower your nocking point or raise your rest in SMALL INCREMENTS

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Sounds like you got a press. I'd keep everything level and square and make the bottom limb work harder by advancing the bottom cam (yes, it'll be out if sync, but you have nock travel that needs to be fixed)

One question though, why is your finger on the bow string level in the pic? That can give you a false reading.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like you got a press. I'd keep everything level and square and make the bottom limb work harder by advancing the bottom cam (yes, it'll be out if sync, but you have nock travel that needs to be fixed)

One question though, why is your finger on the bow string level in the pic? That can give you a false reading.
I have just the slightest pressure on it. This level was a little loose on the string so it leaned back. I was putting just a little pressure to make sure it had correct points of contact

·
Registered
Isaiah 6:8
3,169 Posts
That's basically how it was before when it was "tuned" however, my D loop was much lower, so low that I couldn't even drop my rest down enough to even come close to level and still have my rest completely drop away. So I raised everything up so it's level through the berger hole but feel I will still have a very point high arrow at rest to get rid of the tear
tune for results. having everything squared up is just a starting point

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tune for results. having everything squared up is just a starting point
Ok, will do. I'll try to make some adjustments tonight and check it. I'll take pics at rest and go from there.
How much is too much though? If i'm within 1/8" i'm good but if I have to move the rest more than that should I go back to square and look elsewhere?

·
Registered
10,158 Posts
Don't know how your cams were "timed". Make sure your arrow to string is square. Add 1 twist to the bottom cable and shoot the bare shaft at 20 again, check results, if better, repeat if neccessary. (you could lso remove a twist from the top cable.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Don't know how your cams were "timed". Make sure your arrow to string is square. Add 1 twist to the bottom cable and shoot the bare shaft at 20 again, check results, if better, repeat if neccessary. (you could lso remove a twist from the top cable.
Shop had it on their draw board

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was having a similar issue with my Realm SS, I was nock low. I twisted cables and advanced the cam to try to correct it, it didn't help. In the end I loosened the bottom limb bolt about a 3/4 turn and the tear was gone.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I would try some 350 spine and see how they shoot. If still tail high put that 100 insert in and see how that shoots. If tears stay the same you can rule out spine

1 - 20 of 179 Posts