Archery Talk Forum banner
  • Enter in this new Contest Sponsored by Walmart for your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

101 - 120 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
I guess I'm getting turned around. By adding twists you're referring to the direction of how the string. I've got left side of the timing dots (string side) line up with the cable but now my draw length is much shorter and top cam is half inch from the draw stop. What am I missing or screwing up?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
I keep adding twists to the bottom cam and it's coming around but one twist at a time isn't doing much. The top cam is about 3/8 from the stop. I'm stopping for the night. One thing to Note. On the draw board. My top cam starts rotating faster than the bottom cam. Even though its hitting the stop late, during the draw the top cam passes the cable first with the bottom cam lagging. Why would this be and should I be paying attention?
Top cam

Bottom

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Sorry for the delayed response, I’ve been out of town all day. It seems like something is way out of whack with your bow. I’m really not sure how you need to proceed forward at this point, other than to say the best thing to do would be to measure the string and each of the cables under 100 lbs of tension and get them back to factory spec and start over. It seems that you must have something twisted up too much or something is incorrect with the routing possibly.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 · (Edited)
Sorry for the delayed response, I’ve been out of town all day. It seems like something is way out of whack with your bow. I’m really not sure how you need to proceed forward at this point, other than to say the best thing to do would be to measure the string and each of the cables under 100 lbs of tension and get them back to factory spec and start over. It seems that you must have something twisted up too much or something is incorrect with the routing possibly.
There's some decent amount of fuzz on the string and several spots of serving separation so decided to just order new strings and start over vs get this fixed and have to do it all over again in several months. So.... Stay tuned. No pun intended.
I appreciate yours and everyone's help

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Have you tried half twist to both yokes instead and f twisting at the solid cable ends?
No, never played with the yokes. Confirmed cam lean correct at full draw and left them. Does an equal twist on yokes, on the cam that's fast, slow it down so both are hitting same time on the stops?
And adding twist to the yoke will slow down that cam? That would be something you'd do if each time you added or removed a twist from the cables went too far?

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Kind of, if you're twisting cables to advance a cam, the other end of that cable is yoked so twisting that end will do the same thing, it's just shortening the cable for on the other end and a half twist on each yokes will keep the cam lean the same.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Kind of, if you're twisting cables to advance a cam, the other end of that cable is yoked so twisting that end will do the same thing, it's just shortening the cable for on the other end and a half twist on each yokes will keep the cam lean the same.
Gotcha. I think that's where I got mixed up is advancing or R e t a r d I n g is done at the opposite end. Idk. But when I took notes I wrote it down correctly but did the opposite. Still not sure. I've hunted a lot of years. Killed a Lot of P&y whitetails by just slapping on a rage. Ignorance is bliss I guess because I've gone down a serious rabbit hole. Haha

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Ok. So I just installed a set of 60x strings and cables. Here's where I'm at. Bow is maxed out. Bottom cam draw stop hitting first by a lot

Fairly decent cam lean at full draw, arrow completely crosses over the string.

My draw module is set to 28.5. but I'm coming up pretty much at 27.5.
Where should I start?
With my draw leng being short about 1", should I take twist out of the bottom cam? By doing that I'm actually taking the twist out of where the cable connects to the top cam? Correct?
Should I focus on draw stops hitting perfect first, then worry about cam lean?

Thanks for any advice from anyone.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Start by getting the bow to factory specs. ATA, BH, cables between timing dots, factory cam lean. Then go from there.

How did you install the strings? Did you make sure they did twist or untwist from the way 60x sent them to you? Sounds like untwisting of the cables happened.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Start by getting the bow to factory specs. ATA, BH, cables between timing dots, factory cam lean. Then go from there.

How did you install the strings? Did you make sure they did twist or untwist from the way 60x sent them to you? Sounds like untwisting of the cables happened.
I installed one by one, I guess there's a chance but I didn't feel like anything untwist but clearly something did. So to increase draw length and get top cam hitting I'd need to add twists to bottom cable. But I'm guessing 4+? Or where should I start? I added two twist to bottom cable, it improved draw stops. But I undid that back to original, then took measurements and that's where I'm at. It was getting late.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I installed one by one, I guess there's a chance but I didn't feel like anything untwist but clearly something did. So to increase draw length and get top cam hitting I'd need to add twists to bottom cable. But I'm guessing 4+? Or where should I start? I added two twist to bottom cable, it improved draw stops. But I undid that back to original, then took measurements and that's where I'm at. It was getting late.
Start by measuring ATA and BH. Then getting those to factory specs. I think it's worth getting the spot Hogg laser with bowtechs and setting the cams to factory cam lean too. What's your ATA at now? Too long?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·

BH is 5 7/8" and ata is 32 1/8 so. Specs should be 6" and 32

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
BH is 5 7/8" and ata is 32 1/8 so. Specs should be 6" and 32
1/8" too long shouldn't decrease your DL by an inch. Untwist string and twist cables to get everything to spec and cams synched.

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
1/8" too long shouldn't decrease your DL by an inch. Untwist string and twist cables to get everything to spec and cams synched.

That's kinda where I'm looking for advice vs just adjusting everything. I should be adding twists to bottom cam to get the draw stops in sync?

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Check your bearings on your cams. If they are ok move forward with the tune. Ive seen quite a few of those bearing go bad.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
That's kinda where I'm looking for advice vs just adjusting everything. I should be adding twists to bottom cam to get the draw stops in sync?
I think you need to twist cables to advance the top cam that would be bottom yokes, or top cable. I would check cam lean though and get that so both cams are at factory lean using the bowtechs cam lean charts and a spot Hogg laser.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Twisting the the cable that Connects to bottom cam to advance the top cam, correct? So twist that until timing is correct, then measure draw length, if still short twist both cables equal until it's back to spec?

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Twisting the the cable that Connects to bottom cam to advance the top cam, correct? So twist that until timing is correct, then measure draw length, if still short twist both cables equal until it's back to spec?
If that's what advance the top cam (gets stop to touch cable at the same time as bottom stop.
I like to first check cam lean so I don't have to mess with that after getting ATA and cam sync set.
Have you checked out bowtechs ODB bow tune videos? If not, you need to:

Also, you can find the cam lean charts and other important manuals here:

After I get cam lean to spec, then I twist or untwist cables to get ATA to spec and cams synched dead nuts on. From there, I set up arrow square and level then shoot through paper. Fix major tears, then off to bareshaft tune at 20-30 yards.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
If that's what advance the top cam (gets stop to touch cable at the same time as bottom stop.
I like to first check cam lean so I don't have to mess with that after getting ATA and cam sync set.
Have you checked out bowtechs ODB bow tune videos? If not, you need to:

Also, you can find the cam lean charts and other important manuals here:

After I get cam lean to spec, then I twist or untwist cables to get ATA to spec and cams synched dead nuts on. From there, I set up arrow square and level then shoot through paper. Fix major tears, then off to bareshaft tune at 20-30 yards.

Ok. So here's what I've done so far and current results.
To get rid of the majority of the right lean, I think there's just a hair of right lean at full draw..... I've added 2 twist to top left yoke and removed 2 from the right.

Then I had to add 6 twists to bottom cam, my top cam now hits about 2 mm before my bottom cam. I left it as is as far as draw stops are concerned. Would probably a half an twist on top get the perfect?

After getting to the above point, checked draw length and I'm at 28" ( supposed to be 28.5). BH 6" and ATA is 31 7/8.
I added two twist to bottom and top cam and grew my draw length to 28.25". Draw weight 70.26 lb so that's correct

This is where I stopped and looking for assistance. Bottom cam now has 8 Total twists and now the top has 2. Should I keep adding a twist to both top and bottom cam and keep trying to grow my draw length to the correct length of 28.5? or should I look to twisting or untwisting the string?

101 - 120 of 179 Posts