Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help from u bow tuners out there, the question I have deals with adding strands to the cables to increase holding weight/decreasing let off. I am shooting a bow with 80% let off and want to increase my holding weight at full draw. By adding 2 more strands to my cables, how many pounds will this increase my holding weight? The bow came with 24 strand cables and it looks like my cable tracks can handle up to 32 strands, but I want a ball park # of what increasing the cables 2 strands at a time will have an affect on my holding weight in pounds.

Thanks in advance for ur help!

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
What make/model of bow are you shooting?

The number of strands in the cables' bundle has little to do with the draw/holding weight. The length of the cables and string determines draw weight, and the rotation of the cams determines holding weight.

There are ways to manipulate them, but they are subjective to the type of cam system you are shooting.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ttt

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
I'm guessing you can do this a lot easier by just adjusting your cam's draw length setting one setting longer and leaving your draw stop peg in the correct location. This will decrease let off and increase your holding weight.

·
edthearcher
6,509 Posts
as a string maker and bow tuner, you can only get so much out of a cam with a given limb deflection, and you sure not going to do this by adding more strands to the string, some things that are posted on here and other places you have to read between the lines

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
427 Posts
wont this markedly shorten your valley?
Why is this a bad thing?

On topic -

I've tried decreasing letoff / increasing holding weight by playing with string and cable lengths. The problem with that is, longer cables/shorter strings increases your holding weight...but it also decreases your draw weight. All I managed to do in my attempt was keep the same holding weight at less (max) draw weight, not what I was hoping for.

If your bow is able, RCR's suggestion would probably get you the best results.

·
Registered
8,431 Posts
as a string maker and bow tuner, you can only get so much out of a cam with a given limb deflection, and you sure not going to do this by adding more strands to the string, some things that are posted on here and other places you have to read between the lines
True about the string, but you can significantly increase holding weight by adding diameter to the cables.

A couple of years ago, I went from 24 strands to 32 strands on my cable. That was too much. I didn't measured it, but it was probably 50% +/- let off range. This question has come up a couple of times. I ought to measure it.

I suspect that the increase in holding weight by adding two strands or increasing the thickness of your serving will vary with the cam system, but will be much less than the additional 8 strands that I added. The above example was a single cam Mathews Icon (2004). The back wall was much firmer too.

My suggestion is to give it a try and see how it works for you.

Allen

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I'm guessing you can do this a lot easier by just adjusting your cam's draw length setting one setting longer and leaving your draw stop peg in the correct location. This will decrease let off and increase your holding weight.
This,and its much easier.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts