Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the years I have spent travel time and money going to the closest archery shop to have my bows looked over and tuned. I'm wondering if anyone can point me in a direction of any videos, web sites or books that could help me learn how to tune and set up new bows for myself. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I've been searching internet but have become overwhelmed by tons of videos and sites. Just hoping some one out there can point me in the proper direction.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
John Dudley and Levi Morgan have some great how to videos on YouTube.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Yes.....Dudley, Morgan and also Tim Gillingham.

·
Hunter of many things
12,123 Posts
You tube is your friend.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone one for the great info, somehow I over looked AT, lol. I guess spending time reading all the posts I forgot what great information this forum has to offer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone one for the great info, somehow I over looked AT, lol. I guess spending time reading all the posts I forgot what great information this forum has to offer.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
What type of cam system do you have (single cam, hybrid, binary)? There is an excellent sticky at the top of the PSE brand specific forum here on AT that goes into a lot of detail regarding tuning.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
This is the place....any questions just ask and you'll get more opinions and info than any video or book

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What type of cam system do you have (single cam, hybrid, binary)? There is an excellent sticky at the top of the PSE brand specific forum here on AT that goes into a lot of detail regarding tuning.
I have a hoyt nitrum, which I believe have hybrid cams

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
(aka lug nut)
48,384 Posts
I have a hoyt nitrum, which I believe have hybrid cams

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Hoyt, yes it is a hybrid cam. This means, you have a bowstring, you have a buss cable (yoke leg cable), and you have a control cable. The buss cable holds the bow together, the buss cable controls draw weight by way of the ATA (axle to axle). Shorten the buss cable, and the limbs are squeezed together closer, the limbs are squeezed tighter, so the draw weight goes up. So, what does the control cable do? The control cable controls the rotation position of the top and bottom cams. If the draw stops are hitting at the same moment, at full draw, this means your cams are at equal synch, or also called even sync. Adjusting the sync to be UNEVEN on purpose, controls your high and low misses. So, a simple test, to see if your cams are working together or NOT.

20 yards. Horizontal strip of masking tape. Fire a fletched arrow and an arrow with no vanes (bareshaft). The bareshaft has zero steering correction. When we adjust the cams so the bottom and top cam are getting along (cams OUT of sync, on purpose by a little bit), the vanes end up doing ZERO work.

So, are the cams hitting at even sync, are both cams hitting at the exact same moment at full draw? Don't know and don't care. Are the cams in SPEC? Don't know and don't care. Press your bow and mess with ONE of the two cables (your choice) and experiment by adding a twist or removing a twist. When you dial in the correct number of twists to add or remove (won't take much), you get this result.

The arrow with vanes and the arrow with no vanes, are hitting at the exact same height, and the angle of each arrow tube (fletched and unfletched) are exactly the same.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the information, haven't ever tried tuning with a bare shaft against a Fletcher.

Sent from my KFSAWI using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts