Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy or build a vice for my bows any suggestions.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Get the longest bolt with the same fine thread as the stabilizer hole from the hardware store.Cut the head of the bolt off.
Take a piece of scrap wood around 6 or 7 in. long and about 3 in wide.
Drill a hole about 3 or 4 in. deep inside the length of the scrap wood the same diameter as the bolt.coat the bolt liberaly with JB weld or a good epoxy glue ,then pound the bolt in the wood leaving the threads exposed.
The threaded bolt will turn into the stabilizer (use a nut as a lock to secure the bow) and clamp the block of wood into a bench vice and you have a hands free bow to work on.Works verticaly or horizontaly.
Pm if you have any questions.
Chuck.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Definately an RS vise, it is easy, fast, adjustable has a level screw, and comes with string and arrow levels. If you want to set 3rd axis the HTM vise is great. I use the RS for everything but the HTM for setting the 3rd axis level. The HTM is $$$$$ and a hassle to use for general work because you have to remove the stabilzer from the bow and screw in a holding rod for the vise.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Check out Apple Archery too. They make a nice bow vice and other accessories.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nmp

IS this vice worth the money or should i just up out the extra cash and get the RS vise, and not waste my money. I am getting into this sport and don't want to buy the most expensive but deffantily not the cheapest

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I just replaced the RS vises in a pro shop the other day with these. They are tough and they stay true thoughout their motion.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
My dad found a vice at Harbor Freight and it works great. You can set it at any angle. I use it for my bow then when he needs it he uses it for his woodworking. It has a suction bottom so we can move it wherever.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Don't know if this is what you are looking for but I have sold close to 100 vises on here do a search for joebass. I have one left.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
vise

joebass said:
Don't know if this is what you are looking for but I have sold close to 100 vises on here do a search for joebass. I have one left.

Joebass you have a Pm

·
Bowhemian
8,295 Posts
This is the Apple Infinitely Adjustable vise. I believe I paid about $70 for it. It adjusts to allow holding the bow in any position.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
There is a special on the Apple Vise that is very similar to the one in MikeK's post at Bowhunters Superstore in Wellsville, PA. I paid about $40 for it.

·
Bowhemian
8,295 Posts
AllenRead said:
There is a special on the Apple Vise that is very similar to the one in MikeK's post at Bowhunters Superstore in Wellsville, PA. I paid about $40 for it.
I believe that's the non-adjustable model which holds the bow only in one position.

I had one like that. It was fine for holding the bow horizontally, for string changing, center re-serving, etc., but for such jobs as setting nock point, center shot, etc., the bow must be held vertically, which is why I got this one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts