Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· wannabtradguy
15,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering what kind of penetration you guys and gals were getting with mechanicals out of bows in the 55-60# range. also please state which broadhead and what kind of penetration you did and did not get on what type of animals. thx.

· wannabtradguy
15,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thx guys. I have always shot 70+ but am looking at dropping down so I dont mess up my shoulder. I'm not getting any younger. lol I sure don't want to get away from my mechanicals though. Blood trails are so great and damage is so phenominal they can't hardly make it out of sight. I shoot spitfires right now but am gonna go to grim reapers when I shoot them up. please keep the replies coming.

· THwack--CRASH
11,208 Posts
I SHOOT 55-58 LBS.
I'm going with rage again this year, but for the last 50 deer were shot with heavy (425 g) and thunderheads all were completely pass-thru
every shot my knock was pointed back at me.
now I switched last year to rage with the same poundage and seen amazing results with this set-up. The advantage for me is "no tracking so far" all have went down within 30yrds.

· wannabtradguy
15,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the bow I'm looking at is a Drenalin LD 50-60. I do have a long draw so that will help some. I have always liked to have plenty of punching power so this is a new philosophy for me. I always shoot around 6 gpp as well so that will aid in penetration.

· Registered
9,011 Posts
You'll be happy with the Reapers! They have been one of the best penetrating heads in several tests. I've used them with great success. I also heard the Rages, Snypers, and Tekkens penetrate very well with lower poundages as well.

· wannabtradguy
15,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thx for the help. I have some spitfires I gotta shoot up first but hopefully that will be around the 3rd week of oct. :) I didnt get to do alot of hunting last year so the freezer is low (almost out ). I got some work to do. :) I'd prolly stay with the spitfires but it's a REAL PAIN to replace the blades. Foolin with them TINY screws is just too much for me. lol The reapers slide out the back so that will help. DO you use the razortip?

· wannabtradguy
15,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cool. if all goes well, i'll let ya know from personal experience in a few weeks. lol

· Registered
3,555 Posts
With that bow and draw weight I would expect 55-60# of KE.
The Rocket Steelheads or Wolverine would be a good choice.
I've killed 5 deer with those heads and got a passthrough every time except when I hit spine; Usually had about 60# KE.

· Registered
19,079 Posts
Shot Rocket mech heads (steelheads) with 60 lb bows going on 3 seasons now with no problems.

· Registered
39 Posts
I shoot 56lbs..... also due to shoulder issues.... mostly from shooting traditional equipment for 20 years.... now shooting a Bowtech Guardian. The last 2 bucks I have harvested with a 1 3/8" Wasp JakHammer expandable head. Both bucks dropped within sight of my stand.... however, I did not get complete penetration on either deer. It is hard to stop using them but I strongly feel if I would contact any serious bone I would get very little penetration. I am going to be using a 3 blade fixed head this year... the Wasp Hammer SST.

· Registered
1,437 Posts
With that bow and draw weight I would expect 55-60# of KE.
The Rocket Steelheads or Wolverine would be a good choice.
I've killed 5 deer with those heads and got a passthrough every time except when I hit spine; Usually had about 60# KE.
The Rocket Steelheads are a awesome head for lower KE bows. My dad shot is buck last year using these heads and got complete pass through. He was getting something like 52 ft/lbs. I have 3 other buddies that I have turned them on to these also. 2 of them are pulling 65-70lbs and great results. My 3rd buddy started shooting them about 8 years ago. He shoots a High Country Machined Supreme at about 62lbs with fingers. He gets pass through on every deer he killed and hes killed a few. Including a 225lb field dressed buck. Complete pass through. 1) they fly fantastic 2) penetrate awesome 3) very durable. One of the best imo!

· Registered
692 Posts
I shoot at 70#, but have a pretty short DL, so I don't get a ton of speed/KE out of my set up. 2 blade Snypers have worked very well for me.

· wannabtradguy
15,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thx for the input guys. I will check out some deals on ebay for some of these heads but if they use a rubber band or o ring, I'm prolly gonna shy away from them. Thats the main reason I use spitfires now.

Hawkeye, I am not sure what to think of those SST. I used a SST fixed 3 blade on 2 deer last year and the blood trail was non existent. The heads were razor sharp and great shots on both. I really couldnt explain it but I ended up grid searching for both of them. I hope you dont have the same problem. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

· Registered
1,140 Posts
Spitfires

Only mechanicals that I saw shot out of a bow of that draw weight were Spitfires. My buddy had his bow at 60-62 pound draw weight. I saw him have complete pass throughs on several deer including a huge bodied 10 pointer that FIELD DRESSED at 221 pounds.
I believe the 2 blade Snypers (same as Rage) have better penetration, so if you place the shot well, I think you'd have plenty of KE to pass through.

· wannabtradguy
15,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I actually have worked a deal out and I will have 2 sets of limbs with my LD. :) I got 60-70 that will be on the bow and some 50-60 just in case I wanna plink. :) I do appreciate all the posts and inquiries. I will try out a bunch of heads this year and hopefully can fill up ours and several other feeezers. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.