Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is it called when a bow is designed to be shot without a cable guards and the mfg runs the cable on the ouside of the limbs ?????????????

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Is this a trick question? You mean like this?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes Jim just like what you posted. Is the correct archery term a shoot thru systemlike HV ??? I just got a bow that is setup like that, it does take a little time to get used to loading arrows, and I made up a doz arrow for FS with feather and they did not work, they would hit the side cables, had to go to a smaller vanes. Any tips are keeping in tune or special needs etc, thanks Bill

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I call it FURY X ! :) There is a lot to love about a true shoot-thru. I'm headed to Maine right now, but I'll catch you on the rebound.

·
Registered
450 Posts
sweet old bill,
if your bow is a martin, there are longer axles availible that spread the cables farther apart for bigger fletch. if it's a merlin, they are pretty far apart to begin with, but not necessarily equidistant from the centershot. i have seen the cams exchanged,end for end, to give a bit more room on the left side(right handed bow) for bigger fletch. no extra maintenance because of the shoot through that i know of. i have a merlin max 2000 with shoot through and love it......will never go back to a cable guard bow as far as i can say for now. when i first got my bow, i and my daughter were at the club with a couple other guys shooting. i wondered how much this system eliminated side torque so i tried a little experiment. i shot my daughter's gt 3555,s my buddies 2314's,my 2512's and my gt. 5575's plus another guys2413's with through paper, one after the other with no changes to my bow, all of them produced tears that were almost perfect, with the exception of a tiny bit of up and down from the different diameters, but no left and right at all . even the up and down was so little that i don't think i would have tried to tune it out

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am shooting the clearwater storm 3D / FS model that is 39 inch in length, is set at 29 inch draw and a peak weight of 58 lbs. I am shooting 500 epic shaft that are fletched with 4 inch bi delta vanes and 100 gr points. Seem to group great, did take a little bit to get use to how to load a arrow, now not a problem. Thaks for the info and help, this old man does not know all these new type of changes, when I last shot FS, I had one of the first Jennings, 4 wheel bow, 24 srt alum arrows, a great sight, that was just a 8/32 pin, and a rope/spike release. That at first I must have busted my nose several times, it was just rope on a piece of wood with a nail thru it, to fine tune you bent the nail and yes it was almost 100% back release. That why in the nfaa they have that rule tht if your arrow jumps off, if you can get it without leaving the stake it does not count as a shot. I shot 4 hours down in the basement, with a old relese, that still works great. It is a hotshot 3 finger release that you trigger with the 3rd finger. if any of you have a hotshot out there that you want to get rid of out of your tackle box, let me know would be more than glad to trade for something, they use to cost a total of $10.95. Did Winn ever make a release glove with a rope ??? Had someone ask me to find him a used oneand did not know the answer.

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
i saw an hoyt ultratec set up with a shoot thru system the other day at a 3-d. i didnt get a chance to look to closely at it but i know for a fact that the guy is at the top of every local shoot around here and he said it works great. i figured the bow would have to be designed for that system, but apparantly not. easton94

·
Registered
450 Posts
hey sweet old bill,
i learned bt on a rope and spike, too! scary things, hey?! i bloodied my nose, split my lip a few times, and shot with tears in my eyes....... good for the soul,lol! then i went a good ole' hot shot as well.....tried the third finger model ,but settled on the regular thumb job.. they were the a good release back then, pretty primative in comparison to what is around now...... i have heard that someone just bought the manufacturing rights to start producing them again. ew used to take them apart and stone the sear nice and smooth, it really helped allot.i didn't know clearwater made a shoot through system, i could'nt tell about them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts