Archery Talk Forum banner

bow wood combos that do not work

1643 Views 13 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Tajue17
I decided that I would post a list of bow wood combos that do not work well, if you have any others please post them

60lbs cherry backed cherry (my second and most recent bow explosion)

mahogany backed red oak (didn't really explode, the backing just split)

hickory cherry hickory trilam (the cherry in the middle crystals)

unbacked oak boardbow with violated growth rings (duh)
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm talking about standard longbows, I know you can make a bow out of pine if you do it "right" but honestly, who wants to shoot a 3-4in wide bow? These combos do not work in a standard longbow configuration.

· Registered
2,656 Posts
I'm talking about standard longbows, I know you can make a bow out of pine if you do it "right" but honestly, who wants to shoot a 3-4in wide bow? These combos do not work in a standard longbow configuration.
You didn't say that in your original post...

Disagreeing with Kegan.....lololololololoRoflhelicopter.

· Registered
10,066 Posts
There is no standard longbow, jsut as there is no standard set of given dimensions. You can make a pine longbow that is 1 1/2"... but it owuld probbaly only pull about 30# at 28" and be about 74" long (and of course that all depends on the density of the specific piece, whether it's reaction wood, heartwood, just sapwood...).

What you want from the bow makes a big difference, so you build in certain design characteristics with a given material to reach that goal.

If there was one material or wood that worked best in every situation, we'd be using it. I've broken/ruined more than my fair share of bows and I can tell you- it was my lack of understanding and skill, not the wood:).

· Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll elaborate on that and say it was both of our misunderstanding of the specific wood/style we were working with, and not a lack of general bow building skills, although, there is always room for improvement.

· Registered
57 Posts
If there was one material or wood that worked best in every situation, we'd be using it. I've broken/ruined more than my fair share of bows and I can tell you- it was my lack of understanding and skill, not the wood:).
breaking bows is part of the learning curve. anyone who has made very many bows has broken their share. there is plenty to learn during the post-mortem examinations. so, even an outright failure isn't a total loss. broken bows provide revelations about bow design and construction that succesful ones cannot.

there is a wood that works best in almost every situation. it's called "osage orange". :teeth: hehehe

I'm going to be cutting osage all day today. some for stave bows, some for board stock. might post some pics later.

· Registered
10,066 Posts
breaking bows is part of the learning curve. anyone who has made very many bows has broken their share. there is plenty to learn during the post-mortem examinations. so, even an outright failure isn't a total loss. broken bows provide revelations about bow design and construction that succesful ones cannot.

there is a wood that works best in almost every situation. it's called "osage orange". :teeth: hehehe

I'm going to be cutting osage all day today. some for stave bows, some for board stock. might post some pics later.
I gotta admit, I always get a little jealous when I hear someone speaking so nonchalantly about going to cut Osage:D.

Jamie, are you in the bow swap in the build-along section?

· Registered
1,193 Posts
I wouldn't use cherry between hickory(hickory would overpower it) and I would think mahogany would be too brittle.

Cherry is weak in tension so it doesnt make the best backing

I am not jealous becuse I have a bunch of osage and its all over the place where I live!:pepsi:

· Registered
10,066 Posts
no, I guess not. I'm not familiar with the bow swap.

too tired to post pics today. cutting osage is brutal. I only bled on 4 occasions and nobody incurred a serious injury. an exceptional day of felling osage trees!
It's up in the build-along forum, Elk started a bow swap.

I'm sure any of us would be proud to recieve one of your Osage hunting bows:).

· Registered
790 Posts
this is said with a smile but we made tons of selfbows bows from red oak and all ton of them broke :mg:! I think it was mostly the newbie bowyers fault though and not understanding moisture content.

any wood should work to some degree though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.