Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was just thinking about it cause a lot of them arent real straight i was thinking if they were a little shorter they may fly a bit truer... ive shortened them for my daughters bow and thats what made me think of it...

·
Registered
555 Posts
Full length will work just fine. I do spin test my arrows though. Scrap any that are way out.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Full length will work just fine. I do spin test my arrows though. Scrap any that are way out.
I know they work just fine Ive been shooting fish a few years now just wondered if shortening them makes them better then fine is all...

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I shorten my kids arrows all the time. Nothing saying you can't shorten yours if you want.
that's my thought exactly I mean we shorten them for shorter length and less weight so why not??? it may make them a little faster and possibly more accurate... the only reason I can think that theyre 32" anyways is ease of sale... I don't know just thinking and wondering if anyone else had thought of it or tried it..

·
Registered
555 Posts
It's the weight, need to keep the inertia up. The penetration factor is a lot different shooting shorter shafts to full length shafts.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's the weight, need to keep the inertia up. The penetration factor is a lot different shooting shorter shafts to full length shafts.
see i was thinking the opposite that with a shorter shaft your have less flexing so the inertia would be better to allow better penetration...

·
One Shot
9,198 Posts
My son had no penetration problems with low draw weight and shortened arrows. Shot some good sized carp.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My son had no penetration problems with low draw weight and shortened arrows. Shot some good sized carp.
well I think the only thing to do is cut some fiberglass and find out this spring. ill try and make sure to post my findings, that is unless they work so well it ends up being my little secret...

·
Registered
32 Posts
They are longer for ease of aiming. Shortening will make them stiffer as well which with the typical low poundage bows used in bow fishing would effect arrow flight

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They are longer for ease of aiming. Shortening will make them stiffer as well which with the typical low poundage bows used in bow fishing would effect arrow flight
now this I under stand shortening it to much my create to stiff a spine for lower poundage... probably can figure out FOC but who knows what kinda spine fiberglass has...

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ahhh but then they do make the carbon fiber stranded ones that say to be straighter and stiffer so why not just shorten a regular fiberglass arrow to achieve the same thing???

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
In the end it's just a fish your shooting and the distance is probably under ten yards. How accurate do you need it to shoot. Imho spine is irrelevent when it comes to carp.

Heavy is better to a point. I mean I don't want to handicap my kid with an arrow that sticks out the front of their bow 20" and it's so heavy the bow won't shoot it. I also don't want a super light arrow eirher. The light arrows can be pulled off course by the string play out. In the end I think your over thinking things. Just cut your arrow so it sticks out enough so the string won't get caught on anything and go shoot.

When it comes to arrows, fiberglass arrows are stronger and more durrable imho. Think ugly sticks and tuna rods. They however are not sensitive like carbon fly and bass rods. Who needs sensitive arrows when the fish you shoot are always biting

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In the end it's just a fish your shooting and the distance is probably under ten yards. How accurate do you need it to shoot. Imho spine is irrelevent when it comes to carp.

Heavy is better to a point. I mean I don't want to handicap my kid with an arrow that sticks out the front of their bow 20" and it's so heavy the bow won't shoot it. I also don't want a super light arrow eirher. The light arrows can be pulled off course by the string play out. In the end I think your over thinking things. Just cut your arrow so it sticks out enough so the string won't get caught on anything and go shoot.

When it comes to arrows, fiberglass arrows are stronger and more durrable imho. Think ugly sticks and tuna rods. They however are not sensitive like carbon fly and bass rods. Who needs sensitive arrows when the fish you shoot are always biting
Yeah your right... I guess its just that time of year when I'm starting to miss shooting fish and thinking of ways i can prepare... plus if your anything like me those misses that should have been hits start getting in your head and then its the chain effect i guess... but your spot on the way you say it was better put i would of just told myself >>>shut up shoot fish and have fun!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Never had a problem out of factory length. and youll always find somebody with full length arrow if some reason you had to borrow some.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts