Archery Talk Forum banner

When attaching a Broadhead do you:

• Just attach and hope for the best?

Votes: 40 19.5%
  • Flight tune and attach?

Votes: 21 10.2%
  • Flight and Broadhead tune once it's attached?

Votes: 144 70.2%
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
flight tune ?

Will some one tell me what is flight tune ...I spin test every broad head and make sure a few of them are grouping from 20-50 yards ..also, wieght each arrow and head and try to macth them up as close to each other as I can lighter arrow with heavier head etc..but, I don't shoot every arrow and every head...Is that what ya'll do..? Thanks

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Will some one tell me what is flight tune ...I spin test every broad head and make sure a few of them are grouping from 20-50 yards ..also, wieght each arrow and head and try to macth them up as close to each other as I can lighter arrow with heavier head etc..but, I don't shoot every arrow and every head...I that what ya'll do..? Thanks
Flight tune is just another word for Walk Back tuning.Broadhead tuning is adjusting for Broadhead Impact with FP's. I'm using Eastons Tuning Guide terminology for the sake of this poll.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I flight tune and sight-in my bow with field points. Then select at least three practice broadheads of the same kind as the ones I will hunt with. I check weight and spin test. I then practice with these for at least a month making minor adjustments as necessary.

I then get new broadheads of identical design, spin test, and check weight. But, I don't shoot the new heads before taking them hunting.

So given this scenario, is the bottom choice in the poll the correct answer?

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tune and sight-in my bow with field points. Then select at least three practice broadheads of the same kind as the ones I will hunt with. I check weight and spin test. I then practice with these for at least a month.

I then get new broadheads of identical design, spin test, and check weight. But, I don't shoot the new heads before taking them hunting.

Yes if you Broadhead tune to have FP's and BH's get the same point of impact.

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
I tune and sight-in my bow with field points. Then select at least three practice broadheads of the same kind as the ones I will hunt with. I check weight and spin test. I then practice with these for at least a month.

+1

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Are these results scaring anyone other than me?:eek:
Yeah, me too! Maybe I'm asking too much of my equipment to check it out to see if it will come within 4 feet of an elk. I shoot broadheads all year because they are what I hunt with in September, and I want to know when they are or are not flying perfectly.

·
Registered
19,452 Posts

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
how do you spin test?? can someone please tell me

Find something that will allow you to roll the arrow smoothly and look for wobble in the head. Here's an article that discusses it.

There are 2 other components that need to be looked at in addition to your bow and everything attached to it: 1. your arrows and 2. your broadheads. Check your arrows for straightness and your fletchings for good condition. Whether you shoot arrows with vanes or feathers, they need to be in good condition in order to stabilize your arrow properly and provide good arrow flight. Arrow nocks and inserts need to be straight in line with the arrow shaft. If nocks are not straight, your arrows will be pushed off course when you shoot them. Straight inserts are important so your broadheads fly in a straight line. Spin test your arrows, either with a commercial spin-tester or using a cardboard box with two v-shaped grooves cut in each side at the same height. Put a box or piece of paper at the broadhead end of your arrow and draw a spot on it that lines up with the broadhead tip. This will be your guide-spot. Screw on a broadhead and spin the arrow while it is sitting on the spin-tester or cardboard box. The tip should point to the guide spot as you spin the arrow. If the tip moves from the guide spot, your insert is probably not straight. Another way to check for insert-straightness is to spin the broadhead tipped arrow on it's tip, vertically on a hard, smooth surface, such as a table top. As the arrow spins, watch the arrow shaft just above the broadhead. If you see the arrow shaft wobble, your insert is not straight. Double check each arrow by screwing in a different broadhead and testing them again. The broadhead itself may not be straight causing the arrow to appear as if the insert is the culprit. Double checking assures that your initial test results are accurate. Check all your arrows and put the non-straight insert arrows to the side for use with field tips. Inserts of aluminum arrows can sometimes be straightened by applying heat to the insert end of the arrow, and rotating the broadhead while holding the arrow shaft in place. This will rotate the insert in the arrow shaft. Re-spin test the arrows for insert straightness and you may find that you have solved the problem.

·
Registered
17,298 Posts
I use a ASD on my arrows and inserts, spin test my broadheads and then I practice with my broadheads to make sure they fly good.

·
Banned
7,286 Posts
I do it all. Walkback, BH tune, paper tune, etc, etc.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I actually feel that you can never test to much. especially when so much is on the line come crunch time.:wink:

·
Registered
710 Posts
I mount my heads and shoot each one a dozen times to be sure it flies well and there are none in the bunch that turn out to be occassional fliers. Then I resharpen and they go in my quiver. If you're not test shooting them, you're guessing and hoping.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts