Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Armed by the teeth

Adam Stock figures the button buck he dropped while bow-hunting Thursday morning should be mouth-watering tasty.
After all, Stock’s mouth helped bring the deer down.

Missing his right arm since suffering an industrial accident at the age of 18, the 29-year-old Stock simply holds the bow in his left hand and draws the string back with his teeth, The LeClaire, Iowa, resident is not one to be deterred by a handicap.

Stock golfs, plays softball, fishes with electric reels and hunts with a rifle. He took up bow-hunting last year after encountering a television show about handicapped hunting.

The program promoted use of specialized releases, but the resourceful Stock had a different idea: Use his head.
“This seemed like the cheaper option,’’ he said. “Now, it seems like the best option. Of course, when I start losing teeth ...’’

Actually, Stock said, his hunting style is not hard on his dental work. But it wasn’t easy to shoot at first.
Using a strategically placed piece of Velcro on his string, Stock bites down, draws the string back to his left shoulder and uses his “opposite’’ eye to look through a peep sight on the string. Then, he lets it go.

“My first couple attempts were pretty bad,’’ said Stock, who started out using an old bow owned by his father. “It took a while.’’ He practiced shooting at targets in his father’s back yard. He then went hunting about a half-dozen times last year but never got a shot off.

When he fired and hit a tree instead of a doe earlier this year, Stock decided an upgrade in equipment might help. He bought a standard Hoyt bow with a 50-pound draw and then gave his teeth a good test. “I shot it 60 times the day I first got the bow,’’ he said. “No problems.’’

Thursday’s was the first shot Stock took at a deer with the new bow. “It was a kill shot, that’s for sure,’’ he said. “It only ran about 20 yards and dropped.’’

Using a lightweight gun, Stock has bagged a six-point buck each of the past four years of rifle-hunting season. In terms of satisfaction, he said Thursday’s 100-pound “button buck’’ outweighs them all. “By far,’’ he said. “I was overwhelmed, to say the least. It is much more of a struggle. With a shotgun you can move around a lot more. You have to be seriously still to get a shot with a bow.’’

Stock always is up for a challenge. Only an occasional golfer, he still is trying to lower his best score of 120. He plays first base in a Bettendorf men’s league once a week every summer and has had the glovework down for years. “I flip the ball in the air and while it’s there, I flip the glove off, catch and throw,’’ he said. “Since the day I lost my arm we have always been thinking of ways to do things.’’

Stock and his wife, Jodi, adopted sons Devon and Treigh, ages 6 and 5, a year ago. “They are pretty impressed with what Dad can do,’’ he said. “I try to teach them, ‘Don’t let anything stop you.’ ’’

He hopes his bow hunting success can teach others with handicaps the same thing. “The biggest thing I want people to know is that you can do it,’’ he said. “There is nothing you cannot do.’’

http://www.qctimes.com/internal.php?story_id=1038975&l=1&t=Sports+News&c=32,1038975

·
74,535 Posts
Inspiring story

Thanks for sharing it.

·
Registered
10,964 Posts
excellent

I love hearing stories like this! It's an inspiration to me.Thanks for posting:)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Thanks for the post. How quick we forget how good we have it. We need a good reminder. Some folks wake up everyday with one. Thanks.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Here in ky Tim Farmer the host of KY afield a TV program sponsored by the KDFWR lost part of his right arm and does the same thing. It's amazing to watch it on TV.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Ya, Farmer is pretty awesome. I watch him every chance I get. Ever seen him reel up a fish with his teeth? Pretty cool also.

striketwo said:
Here in ky Tim Farmer the host of KY afield a TV program sponsored by the KDFWR lost part of his right arm and does the same thing. It's amazing to watch it on TV.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts