Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All other things being equal, how many points should a person pick up by changing their bowhunter rig to an open rig.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I suppose it depends on what u are shooting, field, 3d, indoors???

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We will say indoors Vegas targets, but I would be curious about other styles as well

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
depends mainly on if all the changes from one style to the other 'click' for you.

some guys cant get used to shooting with a lens. some cant adjust to seeing a 'large' target image.

stabilizer set-ups can be a frustrating thing if they arent 'just right' for some.

by changing to a full bore freestyle setup, you could do worse than your BHFS setup. only one that can answer that is you.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What you are talking about is a learning curve, lets say you could skip the learning curve. Also lets do this, we will start with a pro, we'll use Jesse, now lets strip him down to BHFS. How many points will he drop on a vegas round (scored inner)

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I added about 15 points when I wne t from BHFS in NFAA to Open with a slider sight and scope. This was prior to fiber optic and 4x scope etc...

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
Assuming you meant BHFSUL, and shoot a release, the point spread between top shooters in either class is actually pretty small. Indoors, the sectionals coast to coast seem to have a pile of 300's in the top few flights, seperated by x's. Outdoors, depending on how you set pin distances, you're really off the face only at 80yds, and shooting BHFS/BHFSUL for many years, very few good shots drop more than a couple points even at 70/80yds. The best BHFSUL shooters are 15-20 points below the top scope shoters.

Myself, my 60year old eyes, and bones, are good for the low 500's with peep, pins and a release. With a scope I only gain about 10 points, better shots will likely gain a bit more, guys shooting low 400's might not see much difference at all.

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
I am no pro thats for sure. I shoot a Vegas 360 round in our indoor winter league. I was a 355 average freestyle shooter 2 years ago.
I shot a bowhunter setup this past year.
I started out in the high 340's but ended up 353 average by end of league.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting stuff guys, do you think the added points come from stabalization or optics. Myself, I struggle indoors especially, trying to see down range. I am wondering if I would benefit from low power optics.

·
Aussie Bowhunter
221 Posts
On the field stuff we do over here in Australia, (paper target wise), with a potential 400, I went from high 380's on Bowhunter to mid 390's Freestyle....My best on Bowhunter was 390, my best with Freestyle is 396...Just cant seem to crack a perfect round...I always stuff a shot up....:angry:

Indoor wise, my best is still with my hunting rig...299, 36x......

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice shooting hawks, why do you suppose you do better outdoors with freestyle setup and better indoors with your huntin rig?

On the field stuff we do over here in Australia, (paper target wise), with a potential 400, I went from high 380's on Bowhunter to mid 390's Freestyle....My best on Bowhunter was 390, my best with Freestyle is 396...Just cant seem to crack a perfect round...I always stuff a shot up....:angry:

Indoor wise, my best is still with my hunting rig...299, 36x......

·
Aussie Bowhunter
221 Posts
Dunno, just one of those things........I shot on the weekend....in the morning, 2 bad shots...the rest were good...in the arvo, a good round with only a couple of arrows out by the slimmest of margins....I gotta practice more...lol....

For me, the best thing about freestyle is the added stability of a long rod and side bar....holds much better...

One thing i do find is that a scope gives me no real advantage indoors.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts