Archery Talk Forum banner

Bowhunters need to TONE IT DOWN...

3568 Views 80 Replies 47 Participants Last post by  Firedog43
bow hunters seem to make most of the noise when it come to hunting issues, let me remind you that your still the minority as far as hunting groups are concerned and the general tone i'm hearing from rifle/muzzle hunters and small game hunters is that bow hunters are elitist's, and self centered.

bow hunters are doing a great job of alienating themselves from other hunting groups, and just remember the groups that want to abolish hunting have bowhunters as first on their list!!!you guy's need all the friends you can get..

hell i have even heard of a petition started in Tennessee by "RIFLE HUNTERS" that want's to stop bow hunters from hunting black bear due to the high wounding rate??? imagine that hunters against hunters?????:mg:
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

· Registered
5,696 Posts
I also agree that it is very stupid that all hunters do not unite. I will admit I am sort of a bow hunting elitists, but I take it to the extent of just teasing friends that they are gun hunters and not bow hunters. It is purely teasing though, and I would never do anything to take away there right to hunt however they choose. On another note, I think maybe the reason bow hunters are so "loud" is that they are usually EXTREMELY passionate about there sport.

· Registered
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
don't get me wrong i'm a bow hunter also, but started out toting a 30 30 marlin with iron sights during deer season long before i ever imagined what bowhunting would be like today, i believe most of us started out that way or close to it, and it's time for alot of us to remember our roots and respect other hunter/hunting groups that have been at it alot longer than us.....

· Registered
Mathews Chill X
6,898 Posts
re

I agree with ya. But I bet that most bowhunters do not feel superior to other hunters. I bet it is a small amount of loud mouths that make it seem like we are a bunch of self richous elietists(not sure about spelling) :)

Just my 02

· My Elk Hunting Home
32,447 Posts
the general tone i'm hearing from rifle/muzzle hunters and small game hunters is that bow hunters are elitist's, and self centered.
Ya, and lots of bowhunters consider rifle hunters "slob hunters". As a flyfisherman, I have always been considered an "elitest" by the masses of bait and lure fishers.

I hunt and I fish, and I choose to use whatever method is legal, and what I most enjoy at the moment. If that makes me an elitest to some.......then so be it. I still do all types of hunting, but I prefer bowhunting.......and I do all types of fishing, but I prefer flyfishing.

· Registered
1,900 Posts
I agree that we all should stick together. Just remember if you try to take something away from one group they probably will do the same in return. I bow & firearms hunt. There are people that firearms hunt that are just as passionate about it as bowhunters. I love to bowhunt but I also love to hunt with my pistol. I don't own the woods or animals I share them with others. There are slobs in every group not just one.

· Registered
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya, and lots of bowhunters consider rifle hunters "slob hunters". As a flyfisherman, I have always been considered an "elitest" by the masses of bait and lure fishers.

I hunt and I fish, and I choose to use whatever method is legal, and what I most enjoy at the moment. If that makes me an elitest to some.......then so be it. I still do all types of hunting, but I prefer bowhunting.......and I do all types of fishing, but I prefer flyfishing.
no that doesn't make you an elitist, it's when you bash other hunters,.... that's when you will have earned the title elitist.

none of use should consider any other hunting group as "SLOB HUNTERS" right?:shade:

· Registered
2,621 Posts
I really don't see it myself. Too many young men have laid it "all" on the line for our ability to speak our piece. A place where everybody just kinda sneaks around quietly under fear of alienating somebody else doesn't sound much like a free society. My father did not raise me to be a man that hides in the shadows and whispers and not stand up for what I feel is right.

· Registered
926 Posts
I agree with ya. Hunters got to stick together..I can say I dont here alot of hunters against hunters but when I do it is more of the gun hunters putting down bowhunters. I have used a gun since I was 12 and a bow for a year and a half now. Hunters got to stick together.

· Registered
Hoyt Satori w/ Uukha Gobi limbs 45# @ 28"
2,802 Posts
I agree that all hunting and fishing groups need to stick together, as there is strength in numbers. :thumb:

However, I will not sit in the shadows being quiet about the methods I prefer to hunt, nor the weapon choices that I make. This is my own free choice and it's the same for anyone else. :) I am not a better hunter than my fellow hunting bretheren, I simply choose to diversify my hunting methods. :nod:

I am not just a bowhunter. I hunt with a miriad of weapons and they are all good. One is not better than the other, just a choice...my choice.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

· Registered
1,143 Posts
I really don't see it myself. Too many young men have laid it "all" on the line for our ability to speak our piece. A place where everybody just kinda sneaks around quietly under fear of alienating somebody else doesn't sound much like a free society. My father did not raise me to be a man that hides in the shadows and whispers and not stand up for what I feel is right.
No offence but...

But if those young men come home and choose to hunt legally with a rifle who are we as bowhunters to say it wrong - and our way is the right way.

I think thats the point sits in trees is making. I don't think that your father probably raised you to be a snob - to stick your nose in the air and think you are better because you hunt with a more primitive weapon. As hunters we have to stick together - United we stand, Divided we fall.

· Registered
65 Posts
Mixed message here

I hear sits-in-trees calling for bow hunters to clean up their act because all hunters are "one" and need to stop bashing each other. - OK, I'll buy that - - and then signs off by calling anyone who doesn't agree with his interpretation "whiney little bed wetters". Now that's an inclusive, let's all get along together, statement designed to make all hunters feel like they're part of the same group.

· Registered
2,556 Posts
On another note, I think maybe the reason bow hunters are so "loud" is that they are usually EXTREMELY passionate about there sport.
I know gun hunters that are more passionate about their sport than I am about bowhunting. And I'm extremely passionate about my hunting.

My point is, the weapon doesn't change the passion. It's the hunter.

Hunting with a bow doesn't make you special. Really. It doesn't.

· Registered
422 Posts
I am not an eliterst, nor am I against folks that hunt using other meansd, However if it goes bang when you shoot it, you will not find them hunting anywhere close to me nor are they allowed to hunt on any of my places.

· Registered
10,765 Posts
I agree !!I think too many bowhunter /archers have talked themselves into beleiveing that hunting with a bow is so much more manly and difficult to master .But in truth we are all hunters and like the weapons we use .There is no one hunting group any where hunting anything that is any better as a group or individually than the next!!

" I say to you all that we must hang together or surely we all shall hang sepratly " ---Ben Franklin

· Registered
2,556 Posts
How can you put all bow hunters in this group?
He isn't. Read it again. You missed something important.

I am not an eliterst, nor am I against folks that hunt using other meansd, However if it goes bang when you shoot it, you will not find them hunting anywhere close to me nor are they allowed to hunt on any of my places.
I know you don't mean that statement to come across as arrogant, but actually, this is in part what the original post is suggesting. You would have come across as more pro-hunter had you left this part out of your post.

I'm not suggesting that you're an anti-hunter, but the second statement removed some of the support of your first statement.

· Registered
25,353 Posts
i agree i dont care what you use just go hunt and have fun with it.

i love to hunt with my shotgun for deer and turkey. archery is a little more special to me and my heart pound more with it but still.

we need all the help we can get to keep hunting alive. everyone is different and likes to use a different tool for success. so just let them do it in peace.

also shotgun season is kinda tuff. the deer are so alert all the time and hidding compared to the nice relaxed archery season deer.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.