Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am going on my first bow hunt this year up in unit 7 for deer. I also drew unit 7 for rifle in october/november.

As you native Arizonans know, the landscapes here are incredibly diverse. I have hunted the rocky sky mountains of southern AZ in the desert for mulies, but I have no experience in the ponderosa pine up north.

I was hoping to hear from those who have had experience hunting in AZ and the different landscapes and how you adjusted your hunting strategy for deer. Also, if you have any tips for an archery newbie feel free to chime in!

·
Corripe Cervisiam
26,454 Posts
I’ve hunted and helped my guide buddy with rifle hunters in that N Az country.

Most archery guys either spot and stalk or hunt water. Water is hit or miss due to those tanks all being on roads and lots of traffic that can screw you up. Then you can drive it and glass which is productive. My one Az buddy hired a big name outfitter and thats what they did to cover more country. He shot a 210” buck that way Either last year or the year before.

That PJ country is difficult to Stalk in, so gravelly and noisy. IMO, a guy has to bring an extra pair of thick wool socks if you plan on doing any sneaking, just watch for those little cacti And rattlesnakes.

That country is not thick with deer. You have to cover a lot of ground but then typically they are in small herds.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PJ = Pinyon-Juniper ? And yes I have noticed a lot of tanks on the forrest roads. I have also noticed heavy density of pine on the major peaks. This seems much harder to glass than the lower elevations with broken patches of trees. But I imagine the ground is much quieter than the pinyon-juniper country.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.