Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going hunting in Northwest Montana during Thanksgiving week. I am going semi-guided in a Drop-Camp style hunt. The hunt falls within the Montana's "General Season" of which I am allowed to take pretty much any weapon I want to. My buddies are taking rifles but I was thinking about taking the bow for at least 4 days of the hunt and if I am not successful I can take the rifle out for the remaining 4 days of the hunt. We are limited in space for travel so I was thinking about not taking a treestand and going on foot. What do you all think? Am I waisting my time on foot with a bow in the Northwest Mountains of Montana or do I have a legitimate chance to havest a good buck. The guide says that this time of the year in that area is the peak of the rut and rattling works very well. I need some feedback here. All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Benji

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
What town are you hunting out of? There is a lot of different terrain and field types up here. Are you hunting someones private property or going entirely on private land? If you are here over Thanksgiving and the previous week, then for sure bring or borrow rattling antlers, a grunt tube, and a bottle of doe in estrus lure, it will be your best chance and getting a good buck with a bow. If you are hunting Flathead or Lincoln counties, there are good bucks to be had on public land.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am hunting in Libby, Montana which isn't very far from Kalisbell. It will be Public Land that the outfitter will horse back us several miles into to get away from the other hunters. It is definetly Mountainous range type area. I am not 100% sure but I believe that it is Lincoln County. Thanks for the reply. What do you think about hunting on the ground with a bow in this area?

·
Registered
165 Posts
lots og big mule deer over there. spot and stalk works well in that area, in some areas it is very thick alder.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
This must be a mule deer hunt, if you are packing in somewhere. I think you have a good chance, mulies are not the most wary animal in the world, the younger ones are blatantly stupid. When those mulies are rutting, you can creep right in on them. I suppose, do a lot of glassing, find a good buck and put the sneak on him. I have even heard of guys rattling in mulies too. I wonder if he is going to take you into the Cabinet Wilderness. I am from Eureka, which is 65 miles north of Libby. The whole county is logging country, there are old logging roads to walk and glass, but if you are packing in, I suspect he is taking you into the Cabinets. In any case, it is going to be brushy, alders, huckleberry, and false huckleberry. You could have a lot of snow too.
I don't know what to tell you really, it is worth a shot, mulies really are kind of dumb. But if this is a mulie hunt and you would obviously like to take a trophy back to WV, I hate to see you go home empty handed, especially if you see a big one and can't get in on him with a bow, because there are a lot of good bucks in this country, it is just that it can be hard to hunt. If he doesn't take you to the wilderness, go and hit those clearcuts, it is where they go to feed, you can sneak on the edge in the timber and maybe have them walk right into you when they are heading back into the timber.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Treestand is not really necessary,,if you are whitetail hunting they are everywhere. I have 2 nice ones out in my backyard right now as I type this. On the other hand if you want a mule deer my son and I saw a really nice 4X4,2 forks and a doe w/large fawn right behind the dugouts at the baseball fields yesterday when we were driving into town (Libby).

PM me and I can give you directions to the ballfield or just ask anybody (its in the middle of town). I think you could stand on the top of the bleachers and have a pretty good 15yd shot!

God I love this place!

P.S. 11 more days.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks!!!!

Guys I really appreciate all of this help/response. It is a combo tag for Whitetails/Mulies. I talked with some references of the outfitter and the outfitter himself says that there are much better whitetails in this area than Mulies but.... there are good Mulies too. Apparently you can pack a rifle with you for back-up while you are bowhunting and carry them both with you at the same time in Montana. I have a Cabelas Bow/Rifle pack that I might put the rifle in for back-up (safety too because of bears/mountain lions) and I am going to buy the Primos Sling to carry my bow with. (ANY SUGGESTIONS ON A BETTER SLING). The area that we will be hunting is called Kootenai National Forest. Is this area any good?

Thanks,
Benji

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
best sling on the market

hoytdude1974 said:
Guys I really appreciate all of this help/response. It is a combo tag for Whitetails/Mulies. I talked with some references of the outfitter and the outfitter himself says that there are much better whitetails in this area than Mulies but.... there are good Mulies too. Apparently you can pack a rifle with you for back-up while you are bowhunting and carry them both with you at the same time in Montana. I have a Cabelas Bow/Rifle pack that I might put the rifle in for back-up (safety too because of bears/mountain lions) and I am going to buy the Primos Sling to carry my bow with. (ANY SUGGESTIONS ON A BETTER SLING). The area that we will be hunting is called Kootenai National Forest. Is this area any good?

Thanks,
Benji
Primos make the best sling,,,hands down

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The Kootenai Forest is a huge place, it is like the whole county and then some. :D

It is kind of interesting to go to Boone and Crockett website and look at the whitetail entry distribution map. There are two counties in Montana that pop up "red" meaning 11+ entries, they are Lincoln and Flathead counties, there are definitely pigs around here.

Anyway, I hope the outfitter does well for you and you take home a good buck. You might want to call one of the forest district offices and have them send you a map of the Kootenai Forest and call your outfitter and see if he will tell you an area he is taking you, then you could get some topos for that area and study them a little bit. 406-296-2536 is Rexford district, they can get you the number for Libby district or the supervisors office. Ask for the big colored map, if nothing else it is neat to put up on the wall and look at, you will see the amount of public land here is staggering compared to many places. Just a suggestion, it is a long time between now and T-giving, may as well look at maps. :thumbs_up

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
A tree stand out here? Just leave it at home :thumbs_up Only know one guy thats deer hunted with a tree stand here ;)
I don't know about bowhunting that last weekend of the season, if the animals are feeling the pressure it might be better to use the thunderstick, but if you get something w/ a bow come down to my town while your here and i'll by you a coke :thumbs_up
Awesome country up there, you'll love it! Its got dence pine and brush, kind of like western WA and OR :thumbs_up
The best way to get a deer with a bow here is find a trail that goes to and from bedding and food and park your self on either side of it in bow range. I'd get some snow cammo, might help :thumbs_up If you take a rifle what I do is just sit on the edge of alfalfa flats and wait for the dinner bell to get rung for the deer ;) But I don't know if that will work for you.
Another big thing for hunting up there are the grizzlies! There are alot of them up there near the park! Id get some bear mace or a side arm, and make sure your buddies have the same too!!! If you a rifle and get an animal down keep a round chambered because a bear will be hot on your trail looking for a gut pile! Guy got killed here because of that! Even if you miss with a rifle watch even more for a bear coming in! The bears here and in WY and maybe just the western rockies in general are smart enough that they associate gun shots with gut piles. When your walking through the forest just watch for bears and cats :thumbs_up
If you need any help Hoytdude just PM me, I might be able to help.

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
During your time here...

Remember Montana law requires you to wear 400 square inches of flouresent orange.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Yeah I forgot about that Jump, 400" visible above the waist :wink:

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
400 square inches Blaze

I knew that was a requirement. Does it matter if you use blaze camo? Meaning that you can get the stuff that is broken up so that you do not look like a blob. Deer are color blind so blaze doesn't really bother me but I would like to use Blaze Camo.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Theres no good hunting around here ,come on you guys :confused: lol have fun.Still heavy rut action at the end.Spot and stalk hunt lots and lots of Doe groups,

·
Registered Elker
7,715 Posts
2 years ago they offered left over muzzleloader cow tags. I picked one up and when that season opened I wore my neon orange top and hat. I carried a muzzleloader over one shoulder and bow over the other.

2 days into season I got a shot at a nice 6x6 bull with my bow at 35 yards. Stalked too! I was unfortunate to hit a tree branch and so I missed. The orange doesnt matter too much. Gun strap and grunt tubes and shoulder straps on your pack cover enough of the orange to break it up yet still have alot showing.

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
hoytdude1974 said:
I knew that was a requirement. Does it matter if you use blaze camo? Meaning that you can get the stuff that is broken up so that you do not look like a blob. Deer are color blind so blaze doesn't really bother me but I would like to use Blaze Camo.
Nope dont matter at all as long as there is 400 sqaure inches total...It can be broke up...Good luck to ya... :thumbs_up

·
Registered
66 Posts
There are some huge bucks that come from this area. I run local taxidermy studio and we just mounted the #2 typical WT in Montana it scores 199 2/8" it came from Flathead County in 1966. It goes on display next year for the Eastman's Deer Tour. We get quite a number of bucks in the 140-150 range and up. What outfitter are you hunting with? Wouldnt happen to be Neven would it.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Neven Zugg

It is him. Why? Please let me know your thoughts. What do you charge for taxidermy? Have any pics of your work? I am interested... If I end up needing one.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Yeah Stuffen is right, we do have alot of nice bucks and I think the western Rockie states are over looked when it comes to big whities. Our mulies can get to be the size of small rag horn elk, just had a 6 point in the yard a few months ago! I wouldn't be too might of a trophie hunter though because there aint nothing worse than passing up a nice big thinking you'll see bigger and you don't. Also our deer have bigger bodies on them than in the east so if you think you see an elk it might just be a big deer :D
For orange my dad and I wear these skimpy vests like im wearing in the pic. Its made of a mesh fabric so when you got your cammo on it breaks it up a little but your still safe from dumbasses that cant tell hunters from animals :wink:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts