Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was shooting in the wind today. I have both Easton ST Excel 340 arrows with 4-inch 3 fletch vanes and Beman ICS 400 arrows with 2-inch 3 fletch blazers.

I got to thinking. If I am going to hunt in a cross wind and shoot maybe 30 yards or so, which vanes would be the most stable and least affected in the wind using a fixed blade Snuffer SS or Montec?

If you have any experience, I would appreciate your thoughts and expertise.

Thanks,

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
i guess we are both going to find out, i went to 2 inch blazers this year, with my new set up,other wise i always shot 4 inch vanes,so im as clueless as you, i know when i shoot in the back yard when it is windy the blazers seem to do the job the arrows hit the mark

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
The Blazers have less cross-sectional area for the wind to act on than the 4" vanes. The tail of the 4" vane arrow will be further downwind than than of the Blazer when it hits the target. The closer the tail of the arrow is to the point in relation to the line of flight, the better the penetration will be. If the Blazers steer your heads well, then you'll be better off in the wind with them than you would be with 4" vanes. And the next step up in reduced wind drift is FOB's, and they steer any broadhead that I've shot very well.

Here's a hypothetical scenario that will be darn close:
90 degree cross wind at 15 MPH
30 yard shot
4" vanes drift 5-6"
Blazers drift 4-5"
FOB's drift 2-3"

·
Corripe Cervisiam
25,700 Posts
I use the Blazers

on an Axis shaft.....best performing combination in a cross wind I have found. No comparison with the fatter shaft and larger fletch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.