Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the privilege of testing a new string silencer from Bowjax called Slipjax string silencers. I have been testing them out on my 2006 Ben Pearson Stealth Super Select and they have held up very, very well. I know that other string silencers that fit in the string have been very poor in durability, but not these. Bottom line, they do way better than anything else that I have seen.

They slip right in the middle of your bow string, so there are no worries of them creeping up the string as some other models did. The best part about them has been the effectiveness and durability. When I used the string leeches, the arms would come off after some shooting. I haven't had this happen yet with the Slipjax. The new Slipjax are made of a more rigid material, but they dampen sound really, really well. I have them on my string and cables and the Stealth is very quiet, even with the 80# limbs.

I think that Bowjax said these would be available in mid November for everyone, so check them out once they hit the stores. I know I'll be stocking up on these!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The picture above shows them not tied in. As with any in-string silencer, Bowjax recommends for ultimate safety that you tie them in.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
wieght

what do they wiegh??

·
Archery is a Passion...
3,015 Posts
I can't believe this but I was just thinking a couple of days ago that it would be nice if Bowjax made a string silencer that installed this way.

I'm using Bowjax limb savers and string silencers on my bows and love the products and the service. After installing the strings silencers on my hunting bow, it was scary silent. They make a huge difference... can't wait to check out the new Slipjax...

Great product, Great people to deal with.

thenson

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll check on the weight and get back to you.

Jim

·
Premium Member
20,334 Posts
Threads like this belong in the Manufacturer's section.

I'll move this one, but please do not post similar threads in the Geneal section.:)

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I really like the old bowjax you slide over the string. They will stay in place with a little serving and they will never split like the other silencers out there.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BigPete said:
About the same loss of arrow velocity as compared to leeches? Did you chrono with and without?
Actually, I didn't get a speed loss. It was a gain of 1 fps. That's about what I get with the Bowjax ultrajax II. Some people have gotten more of a jump in speed, up to 3 fps. They are made of a more rigid material, so I think that may be the reason for the gain in speed...think of it in your mind in slow motion. When the string releases, the less rigid material will stretch and hesitate for a bit, thus resulting in speed loss. That's not scientific, but the only reason that I can think of that the less rigid leeches would cause a speed loss. Since the Bowjax material is more rigid, the stretching is minimized.

Jim

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
While I am sure the SlipJax will be a good seller. I would still prefer the slip on String Jax:)

·
Registered
892 Posts
selectarchery said:
Actually, I didn't get a speed loss. It was a gain of 1 fps. That's about what I get with the Bowjax ultrajax II. Some people have gotten more of a jump in speed, up to 3 fps. They are made of a more rigid material, so I think that may be the reason for the gain in speed...think of it in your mind in slow motion. When the string releases, the less rigid material will stretch and hesitate for a bit, thus resulting in speed loss. That's not scientific, but the only reason that I can think of that the less rigid leeches would cause a speed loss. Since the Bowjax material is more rigid, the stretching is minimized.

Jim

Somebody will have to help this make sense to me. How can adding mass to the string (not in motion at full draw) that has to be accelerated by borrowing energy that is stored in the string actually result in a arrow that is flying faster when it leaves the string? I think physics would dictate that the only way that could happen would be if somehow the added mass were being overcome by the device somehow creating enough additional stored energy (higher draw weight in this case) to more-than-overcome the added mass. :confused: Any other engineers here? I'm not buying it.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BigPete,
Thanks for a great question. I'm not engineer and my grade in physics left a bit to be desired. All that I have is proof. I went out and shot my Ben Pearson Stealth custom set at 74# with my Arrowspeed Radarchron. It has been very accurate in all tests that I have put it through in comparison with standard chronographs. My speed is 303 with the Bowjax Slipjax. Here is the picture:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After shooting, I was satisified with 303 as the average of 5 shots. The readout only displays 2 numbers at a time, that is why the first 3 is missing.

I then put the bow in a bow press and took out the slipjax. I then shot 5 more arrows and the average was 301 without the slipjax. A picture of that readout is below.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All that I can conclude from my personal tests is that my bow gained 2 fps using these string silencers. Is that a huge speed increase? No way, but then again I didn't buy them to gain speed. I bought them to dampen string noise and they do a great job of that.

I realize that my first test showed a speed increase of 1 fps as noted in my first post. I can only conclude that there was a difference in my holding on the back wall through the average of the shots. Both tests, however, show an increase and not a loss.

Hope this helps to answer your question BigPete and again, thanks for the question.

Jim

·
Registered
892 Posts
I don't doubt your findings, nor I'm I debating the merits and purpose of string dampers (for those that care, it's "dampers" not "dampeners" unless they are somehow getting the string wet :wink: ). Just wondering what is actually changing. Somehow the bow is storing more energy at full draw. Maybe string tension is increased as a result of inserting 'jacks? Or maybe string shortened ever-so-slightly thus causing a harder-into-the-stops hold? Both are measureable. Anyway, I'm not meaning to make a big deal out of it. It is what it is and I'm sure the bowjack stringthingies are a great product......I'd even like to give them a try myself. I just question comments about devices which don't change or add speed when physics would suggest otherwise. :) :zip:

·
Relocated Cajun
10,974 Posts
Somehow the bow is storing more energy at full draw.
I don't think it's a matter of storing more energy per se...I just think to a certain amount, the weight you add closer to the cams like jax and speed buttons make the string more efficient and therefore a tad faster....some pro was telling me about the string entering the string track on the cam faster....no engineer here either.... :wink:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts