Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently got a 09 bmxl and put John's Custom strings on it. The bow is set up 36" ata, 6 1/2" brace, the string is within the timing marks, the idler wheel isn't served, the idler wheel is straight, it's 28" 68lbs shooting 430gr arrows. The problem is the noise and vibration - alot. I've tried different doinker stablilzers on the bow and have experimented with the string stop touching or not touching the string. And still noise and vibration. I don't have any string silencers on the string. Are you all using string silencers on them. So far I'm dissappointed with this bow as it is the noisiest and has the most vibration of any compound I've shot in the past 5 yrs or so.
The pivot bushing doesn't appear to be cracked. I know PSE had a bad batch of pivot bushings.

·
Registered
23,626 Posts
Soemthing is defintly not right there...I had one and it was loud to me - BUT - I was shooting an IBO wight arrow - light - with a louder thumb release...BUT (again) it did not have excessive vibration...

Is your timing on?

·
Registered
16,958 Posts
I'd say take to a competent shop and let them go over it. The madness bows that I've shot have had very little noise or vibration.....something doesn't sound right

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Ya, something sounds wierd...430grn arrow that thing should be silent! Check that your string stopper is tight, and the allen screws to adj the length. Check your acceccories too. make sure they are all tight. hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a pro shop install the string and cable. (this shop knows what they're doing) The string is between the timing marks. I've gone over every screw/acessory on the bow for tightness/buzzing. I've tried the string stopper tight against the string and slightly off the string. Checked all the screws on the cam. Checked the e-clips for vibration.
What does pse use as a bushing/bearing for the axle? I don't know if this bow had previously been dry fired and possibly screwed up the bushings or bearings?

·
OWN YOUR SHOT!
3,465 Posts
screws

I would check to make sure all of the screws are tight including the little set screw on your rest if you have 1. Also check the 2 screws on your bottom cam to make sure they didnt come loose. I have owned 2 bowmadness bows and will say that both bows where very pleasant to shoot and great in the sound department. Hope you find what is going on:)

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
If it had a bad bearing, your pro shop would have noticed it when they put on the string.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know pse had a batch of bad pivot bushings in the bowmadness series. Has anyone had theirs crack and what did the bow do or sound like when they did? I have the shop getting some new pivot bushings in for me with the updated part. I'm going to get them replaced just so I don't have to worry about them cracking later if they're not already cracked.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I broke mine. Don't know what it sounded like other than small plastic pieces hitting the cement after the broke. I did not shoot it till it was fixed. It was very obvious when mine cracked. I never noticed any vibration when it broke.....then again I was not looking for it either. I would say take it to a shop. Just to be safe.

·
Archery Blogger/Writer
9,332 Posts
Just recently got a 09 bmxl and put John's Custom strings on it. The bow is set up 36" ata, 6 1/2" brace, the string is within the timing marks, the idler wheel isn't served, the idler wheel is straight, it's 28" 68lbs shooting 430gr arrows. The problem is the noise and vibration - alot. I've tried different doinker stablilzers on the bow and have experimented with the string stop touching or not touching the string. And still noise and vibration. I don't have any string silencers on the string. Are you all using string silencers on them. So far I'm dissappointed with this bow as it is the noisiest and has the most vibration of any compound I've shot in the past 5 yrs or so.
The pivot bushing doesn't appear to be cracked. I know PSE had a bad batch of pivot bushings.
I'd still check the pivot bushing. Some crack perpendicular to the axle. It's not visible until you take it apart.

With regards to the vibration/noise. This is one of the issues that I have with the Bow Madness. It's so light that it has the ability to generate a bunch of kick. It's a real minor issue to me...but it's there.

To kill the vibration, I went to a B-Stinger with joined 12" rods (24" length) and an 11 ounce weight. This prevents the bottom cam kickout and it soaks up some of the vibes.

-Steve

·
stay calm pick a spot
3,110 Posts
I know pse had a batch of bad pivot bushings in the bowmadness series. Has anyone had theirs crack and what did the bow do or sound like when they did? I have the shop getting some new pivot bushings in for me with the updated part. I'm going to get them replaced just so I don't have to worry about them cracking later if they're not already cracked.
yup i had that rocker block break on mine made a loud twang like noise couldnt tell it was even broke till you took it apart.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
bm xl

i put an 11oz. b stinger, one string silencer and moved the sts 1/8th off string this all helped but mine still has some noise at the shot, the b stinger took 90% of the vibration out . ill have to try the quads, i like the bow a lot, it draws very smooth and is really fast considering the easy draw cycle overall it is a great bow!

·
Breathn
12,519 Posts
ttt

I put a set of riser jax on mine and wow what a difference..that long riser will ring a little ..but never heard one that loud before..

·
Registered
18,474 Posts
The BMXL is a little louder than some of my past bows, but still plenty quiet. Im sure the deer wont notice a difference. The bow has a little more feedback after the shot than my Elites and Bowtech did, but I like that in a bow and even a hunting bow.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to get the bushings replaced. Then super quads and string leeches.

Thanks for the link to the evaluations.

·
Registered
18,474 Posts
On my camo BMXL I have the super quads, and cat whiskers. Peep, and D-loop. Vital gear triangular sight, and sure shot whisker biscuit. Shooting a 439 grain arrow, at 62 lbs. Bow is pretty quiet, and failrly dead in the hand and Im right around 280 fps for speed!

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to get the bushings replaced. Then super quads and string leeches.

Thanks for the link to the evaluations.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
On my camo BMXL I have the super quads, and cat whiskers. Peep, and D-loop. Vital gear triangular sight, and sure shot whisker biscuit. Shooting a 439 grain arrow, at 62 lbs. Bow is pretty quiet, and failrly dead in the hand and Im right around 280 fps for speed!
What is your draw? thanks

1 - 20 of 23 Posts