Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been mixing shooting indoor and outdoor with my two identical bows (Martin Scepters 4).
The other day I went on and measured my DL just to check everything was identical, and I ended up determining my outdoor bow was like up to 1/4'' shorter in DL. Now the funny thing is that when I shoot outdoor I always feel that bow/DL could be a little bit shorter, especially when I set out to shoot at 90m/100yards. And even with this 1/4'' less it still feels as if it could be at least another 1/4'' shorter.

I've had thoughts about this before but it now really feels there could be something here. How about you guys that have separate bows, are they identical, or is your outdoor DL shorter?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,

I have similar problems as you except that I shoot recurve. Indoor with the similar bow I can click much faster than outdoors. I believe it is the angle your bow is pointing that gives the difference in length. I may be wrong.

Regards,
Jenny Hanneman
NB-Nocks Research

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

I have similar problems as you except that I shoot recurve. Indoor with the similar bow I can click much faster than outdoors. I believe it is the angle your bow is pointing that gives the difference in length. I may be wrong.

Regards,
Jenny Hanneman
NB-Nocks Research
That's what I was thinking but can it really be like 1/2'' difference?

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Hi,

Regards,
Jenny Hanneman
NB-Nocks Research
the root cause of that, i think, is because you're just raising the angle of your bow, instead of tilting your entire upper body at the hip as a single unit, and thereby maintaining the same draw length and feel.

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the root cause of that, i think, is because you're just raising the angle of your bow, instead of tilting your entire upper body at the hip as a single unit, and thereby maintaining the same draw length and feel.
So, what would be best way to shoot 90m? 100% unit aiming? Raising the angle, or something in between?
What works best for you guys?

I have considered unit aiming the most logical way but as the time passed it always felt more and more uncomfortable... + I think I need to tilt way too much. In any case, 90m shooting, definitely not forgiving for any form or release flaws...

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Its because as you go back in distance your sight gets lower in your sight window which changes the angle that the bow is in relation to your body/anchor. I have always shot a shorter DL outdoors(around 1/4") and also a lower peep height.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts